What do I have here? Wood ID.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenWater

Aug 30, 2009
Catskills
This was leaning over my driveway, so down it came. It isn't a great picture, but I was wondering what type of wood this is. The greenish tint on the bark is moss. The bark, as it peels, curls back, sometimes forming long tubes. I suspect it is some sort of birch or beech. I am very curious, as I have mostly oak, maple, and pine on my property.

Cheers,

Chris

Attachments

• 0101101344 (Small).jpg
    0101101344 (Small).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 358
It's one of the Birches. The white (Paper) tend to grow tall and spindely, lean over roadways, then fall across the road with wet snow conditions.

Thanks, AP. With mostly oak in my woodpile split this winter, I am glad to have something that can be used next winter. I split a lot of the oak on the thin side, with the hope of getting it ready sooner, but I am not so sure. Good to have variety, I suppose!

Cheers,

Chris

Looks like yellow birch. Can't say for certain based on the pic.

This is yellow birch

yellow-birch-bark-400.jpg

I agree the little bit of bark I can see and the white wood looks like birch, maybe Yellow or Paper Birch. A picture of the bark would probably allow a firm ID.

Based on picture of yellow birch above, I'm pretty sure I have yellow birch. Bark looks just like that.

Thanks, folks!!

Yellow Birch has about as many BTUs as oak, and is supposed to be a great firewood.

Oh - this just keeps getting better. If split now, will it be ready for next winter? I need to diversify my oak woodpile!! :)

Super - thanks AP!

Status
Not open for further replies.