What do i have???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle19

Jun 17, 2010
Rockland County, NY
I'm trying to upload some pictures of some wood i scrounged for a few months ago. It is very dense like nothing i've seen before. It was easy to split with a log splitter and all of the bark came off right away as i split it. It also has a distinctive smell to it when you hold a split up to your nose. After reading about black locust on this site i was thinking that it could be that but it didn't have any thorns on the bark. The woman who i got it from did say that it had been down for a year. It's very dark in color on the ends. I'm not sure if the photos will work but i will try.

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 550
  • wood4.jpg
    wood4.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 590
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 557
Kyle19 said:
I'm trying to upload some pictures of some wood i scrounged for a few months ago. It is very dense like nothing i've seen before. It was easy to split with a log splitter and all of the bark came off right away as i split it. It also has a distinctive smell to it when you hold a split up to your nose. After reading about black locust on this site i was thinking that it could be that but it didn't have any thorns on the bark. The woman who i got it from did say that it had been down for a year. It's very dark in color on the ends. I'm not sure if the photos will work but i will try.

Looks like white oak to me.

it looks like the oak I have...i dont remember if its red or white though....i think its red.....maybe....not sure....

EatenByLimestone said:
I'm going to guess red oak. Definately oak though.

Matt

x2 looks like red oak and the "distinctive smell" makes it a wrap ... when you split oak that is not seasoned or "wet in the middle" the smell from a couple of cords can go down the block! lol

First thing I thought when I seen it was red oak. That with the smell I'm pretty sure it's red oak.

Looks like oak, I'd agree with Red Oak. Black Locust does not usually have thorns on the bark of the main trunk, I think. Most of the thorns are on small branches. I don't think you have locust, just thought I'd point out that Black Locust doesn't have thorns on the trunk. Honey locust has lots of thorns on the trunk - big ones.

If I had to hazzard a guess I'd say it was wood..fire wood..

Sorry couldn't help myself. Not black locust. Looks like white oak to me.

Thanks for the replies. As you can tell i'm a newbie when it comes to knowing which wood is which.

[quote author="Kyle19" date="1277395428"]Thanks for the replies. As you can tell i'm a newbie when it comes to knowing which wood is which.[
Keep fumbling your way through it! maybe beginner luck but roll with it some great wood there...I would rather be lucky.

Adios Pantalones said:
I would bet money on red oak.

I would to with this computer...My hp lap top the color is poor at best.

White oak is my guess. All wood has a distinctive smell. Ref oak sometimes smells like vomit and it splits easy but is stringy. White oak splits a little easier and smells a little more pleasing than vomit. Elm smells like vomit too. Linden smells like vomit+indian food+burning hair. But only when its burning. Locust smells like a toxic chemical fire when its burning. Fruit woods like cherry, apple, mulberry, pear etc are quite pleasing in smell. Catalpa and Linden (Basswood) are the stinkiest, foulest smelling woods ever. Think of burning diapers and sulfur.

Status
Not open for further replies.