what do I have

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

padlock

Nov 24, 2012
here is a photo of what I have and would love some info about it

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 254
Reactions: stocker
Known as a Franklin fireplace. A bazillion of them sold by places like Montgomery Ward in the seventies. Leaky, inefficient stoves. If you burn in it keep an eye on it. I had one back in the mid-seventies. They are hard to control and burn really hot. They are best used with a good screen with the doors open like a fireplace with a couple of splits of wood at a time.

sounds good we are burning in it now and I noticed that it does not heat very far into the room. might have to upgrade really soon

Is that stove sitting on carpet?? My father has a similar stove in his barn. His stove is on a concrete slab and it gets quite warm under the stove. Heats the barn easily, but as said above the air controls are worthless because its such a leaky stove. His stove burns great with 1-2 splits at a time. More than that and she's going nuclear in a hurry. We have a blower on his stove that we can turn on for some emergency cooling when needed

Junked a brand new (still bolted to a wood pallet) one out of my parents basement this summer. Didn't even think about selling it, right to the junkyard where it belonged.

Sure looks like that stove is indeed sitting right on carpet. Deathtrap.

yes when the photo was taken it was on carpet now its on tops of brick

Just bricks? Strongly suggest you put at least a layer of cement board under the bricks (at a minimum).

I have one of these and burn less than 1 cord a year in it. It came with the house when we bought it in 2009. I ONLY burn in it when we are home and close by. Looking to replace in the next couple years. Do you know what the wall construction is like behind it?

More than that and she's going nuclear in a hurry.

If not watched, you are correct. They can go nuclear pretty quick. I have a flue damper above mine to throttle it down even more than the crappy little air control slides on the doors.

I was looking at those to use as an outdoor fireplace on our brick patio...I see them on CL all the time for @ $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.