What do I know when/ how to control flu draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kshultz

Apr 19, 2008
Southern NH
Well tonight I just fired up for the first time my wood boiler. A lot of hard work & planning finally paying off, my wife thinks I'm totally crazy! I get sooo excited. Anyway, do I need to buy an instrament or something to know what my flu draft is? I have a solid pipe from my boiler to the flue with no test ports/holes...yet. Can you give me some suggestions please. I don't have the recommended draft on hand but I know that it is listed in the owners manual. Thank You, Kevin

Attachments

• Boiler Done2.JPG
    Boiler Done2.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 207
For a wood boiler you really shouldn't have a barometric damper. Basically you just want to use the damper on the boiler. On mine I leave it open untill my chimney starts really pulling and then Ive got to shut it almost all the way. Whenever I completely close it smoke starts coming out the secondary air ports. Nice looking boiler. I love mine. Havent burned a drop of oil for heat or hot water in 2 weeks but I am very quickly wishing that I had the money for storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.