what do I need? dont laugh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Full chain saw gear is pretty cheap and can be found online easily. Helmet w/ ear muffs, full chaps, and chain saw gloves. I was always afraid of chain saws so that is what I did. I feel like I'm protected. OH, yes the chaps really do save your legs, thighs, I found out a couple years ago. Take good care of your gear & you will have it for years to come. I keep all of my gear & the chain sharpening equip. in a back pack just for my wood cutting times. I touch up my chain ervery tank or two, gives my back a good break.

On the wood splitting, I have done a lot by hand. As little as an hour a day you will be amazed at how much you can accomplish! This year I had 6 cord log length delivered & am renting a splitter for my brother & I.

There are some good publications online you can download for cutting & splitting. Good luck, it will grow on you!

kshultz said:
Full chain saw gear is pretty cheap and can be found online easily. Helmet w/ ear muffs, full chaps, and chain saw gloves. I was always afraid of chain saws so that is what I did. I feel like I'm protected. OH, yes the chaps really do save your legs, thighs, I found out a couple years ago. Take good care of your gear & you will have it for years to come. I keep all of my gear & the chain sharpening equip. in a back pack just for my wood cutting times. I touch up my chain ervery tank or two, gives my back a good break.

On the wood splitting, I have done a lot by hand. As little as an hour a day you will be amazed at how much you can accomplish! This year I had 6 cord log length delivered & am renting a splitter for my brother & I.

There are some good publications online you can download for cutting & splitting. Good luck, it will grow on you!

Most of the gear is pretty reasonable I'll agree - figure around $40-50 for helmet w/ muffs and screen, $50-70 for chaps, and about $25 for the chainsaw gloves...

(Note when purchasing - at least at my local hardware store, there are lots of fancy gloves with the Husky and Stihl names printed on them that are NOT "chainsaw gloves" - but merely standard work gloves or fairly ordinary "technical" gloves with the name on them to make you pay more... Be sure that what you are getting are REALLY chainsaw gloves...)

What really kills you on the price when purchasing gear are the chainsaw BOOTS... If you look at the OSHA injury stats, there are a LOT of foot injuries reported, and many of them are to the top of the foot, an area not protected by a steel toe. Steel toes are probably better than nothing, especially if you drop a log on your toe :red: but are NOT adequate protection per OSHA standards, and they do have the evidence that backs up the requirement for the boots. The so-called "Logger boots" offered by many work shoe companies are NOT chainsaw boots, they just ordinary boots. A chainsaw boot, like chaps, has added layers of kevlar or other material that is intended to jam the chain and stop the saw - this adds a considerable amount to the cost of the boot and will be advertised if present.

Keep in mind that feet, like hands, are very complex from a biomechanical standpoint - and fairly easily damaged - a foot injury is likely to be VERY difficult to put back together simply because there are a great many bones, tendons, etc. involved. Looking at the Injury Rate Figures, I think that boots are well worth the money they cost in terms of the injury exposure they are protecting against... I would rank them right up with chaps in importance, probably ahead of gloves.

When I was shopping for boots, I found three-four main classes of boots - for about $50-100 there were some european boots with very poor descriptions, and which looked like a heavy duty version of the green rubber boots many of us probably wear when shoveling snow... Looked really uncomfortable, for wearing very long, and while they meet standards, they didn't say how well they did so...

Labonville makes a kevlar boot liner intended to be worn inside a pair of oversized workboots - only $35, but when you add in the cost of a new pair of steel toe work boots (one size larger than what you normally wear) they weren't likely to save you much... The few reviews on them implied that they were also rather uncomfortable, and only marginally effective as protective gear.

Next were the Labonville Boots for about $165 - nice looking, but fairly low, and only 4 layers of kevlar. They appeared to be water resistant, but not water proof. However they had several good reviews on them, and I gave them serious consideration.

Then I found these Matterhorn Boots - 10" high instead of 8" - Seven layers of Kevlar instead of four, Waterproof Gore-tex liner, etc. definitely looked like a better boot but NOT cheap... Look to spend around $275 or more for these, but the quality is definitely top notch, and I will say that aside from feeling a bit like Frankenstein feet because of the size and weight of all the protection, they are the most comfortable boots I have EVER owned. Highly reccomended.

Gooserider

Any99,
I agree with many of the previous posts. However one thing that I did not notice.When splitting have you block on a good solid surface. A lawn or any type of soft ground will absorb the impact of the maul. Sort of like a shock absorber.I have split my share of wood while in NY. Use some good judgment, and take a rest often.Buy the way, what part of NY are you in? I lived in Oneida county, near Rome for over 20 years. Best of luck, Ken

"Important note - it is best to save the cold beer for AFTER the splitting - just because you are seeing two rounds at a time instead of one does NOT mean you are splitting twice as much wood per swing… "

Yes, have the beers after splitting as you sit back, admire your handiwork, and think of relaxing by your stove in the winter (perhaps with a beer in hand then as well?)

If you lived closer I'd give you a couple day's seminar on splitting here at my house. No better way to learn than by doing, eh?

I love the exercise. I have a splitter, but do a lot by hand anyway. It's sort of a dependence thing, I think :)

Thanks for all the great advice. I was away for the long 4th weekend. Ken I live on Long Island But My Family has a camp on Oneida Lake. Thats were I went for the long weekend. I need to do a little shopping. I will let you all know what I get.

We're only 5 miles from Sylvan Beach at the east end of Oneida Lake...welcome back. With my arm being in a cast I could have schooled you in proper cutting and splitting techniques and watched you do it correctly from the safely of my lawn chair. BWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sylvan Beach is where I was. Im up there a couple time per summer. Spent the weekend out on the lake on a friends boat.

I stacked and split a face cord today with a wedge and a sledge hammer and WOW am I sore...

Andy99,
I am most familiar with Oneida lake. I went ice fishing their years ago. I did wonderful! I caught 35 pounds of ICE! Ken in warm, low taxes, and friendly people Texas.

Andy next time you come up PM me and we'll hook up and you check out my wood operation...I'm only about 10 min from the beach through the swamp if you turn east by the Spaghetti factory...

...I should be fully operational by then so no splitting for you I was only joking about that.

I would love to come check it out. I will drop you a line next time I'm there...

Get a log splitter! I lived on long island and when I was there free wood was in abundance, unfortunately it was often really large rounds or hard to spit knotty rounds. Look in the penny save if you get that and you will see advertisements from tree trimming companies offering free firewood. I know you said money is a factor but had you not purchased the 3 cords of wood and applied that money to the purchase of the splitter you would be half way to the purchase price of the splitter. If you decide a splitter or burning wood does not work for you you can always sell the thing and usually get most of your money back. Another idea is look for someone you can share the splitter with. A few posts down from here and you will see a fellow long islander is looking to buy a splitter, if you guys can work out an arrangement you may be able to go halves on the cost of the splitter. I put off buying a splitter and regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.