what do i need to install a double wall pipe through a basement ceiling tile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vern7483

Sep 29, 2009
Montanahead
i am setting my wood stove up and i am stuck on how to run the pipe through the ceiling tile and run a 90 degree elbow through my floor truss and out to my garage. has anyone run a pipe through a basement ceiling tile before?? any help would be appreciated

First of all... what kind of pipe are you running, and how large is this joist area?

i am running 6" pipe, and if i am not mistaken i will have to switch to double wall when i go into the tile and floor joist. i have roughly 14" of free area in the joist to run the pipe

if by double wall, you mean class A pipe, yes you need to use that when passing through a wall or ceiling. Here is the problem. They do not make 90 elbows for Class A pipe. About your only option would be to install Tee horizontally and point it down into the room, then punch that through the ceiling. I really don't think that is legal though. You would need another Tee to go from horizontal back to vertical and I think you are only allowed one Tee in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.