What do ya think this wood is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I didn't get to see the tree or even the whole truck (scrounged up logs). It is pretty dense stuff. The wood is rather yellow, reminds me of the yellow I see when I split locust. Except thisyellow hasn't faded once split the way the locust yellow does (for me anyway). It was a b*tch to split. Wood was kinda sweet smelling too.

Most distinguishing characteristic was the thick bark where the bark was broken into squares like alligator hide. Square chunks would fall off, and once they fell off they almost looked like chunks of virginia pine type bark. But the log itself certainly is not.

What do you think it is? Oh yeah, I'm in central Virginia although do not think this tree is very prominent around here.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 690
Another angle if it helps....

Attachments

• wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 521
Well, the yellow wood that turns brown when exposed for a while suggests mulberry. Doesn't look like mulberry bark though, it's usually thinner. Locust has a thick bark, although that doesn't look like it. I've always found both mulberry and locust easy to split, though.

The kind of wood that should be split with a hydraulic splitter!!

Seriously though, never seen that kind of wood before, some weird bark I have never seen before. Good luck though. I once thought about paying the neighbor kid $50.00 to split 2 cords of Elm with a maul, but I changed my mind, he might have cussed me for the rest of his life for those 50 clams.

I couldn't find it in my tree guide, but finally found pictures online. It is persimmon. They say they make golf club heads out of it. I'll be making ashes out of it.

So it is. One to add to the mental list. I see online it is compared to locust, dogwood, and ironwood for strength and hardness. Good company to be in.

Persimmon eh?Looks like some wedge-eating Gopherwood to me. :)

wahoowad said:
I couldn't find it in my tree guide, but finally found pictures online. It is persimmon. They say they make golf club heads out of it. I'll be making ashes out of it.
Wow!, nice ID Wa..! Never seen them up here in NH.

I went back to get more today. I found a live one and confirmed it via the leaves. It was still a bear to split, especially with a 4 ton splitter, but I got it done. Unfortunately this is wood for next year.

Alligator hide bark is the mark of the Persimmon. I do not get to see many of them up here but can still visualize it from my Dendrology days...

Status
Not open for further replies.