What do y'all use if anything

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
Jus curious to see if y'all take anything with ya to the woods to get the logs off the ground for bucking. Ya know, to keep your chains out of the dirt and away from those sneaky creek rocks!

Mini-Excavator with a thumb. Oh wait, that was a dream. Never-mind. :smirk:

Jags said:
Timber jack. I don't head into the woods without it.
+1 Same here. Drop and limb the tree, jack it up and buck it before it gets dirty. Helps me keep the chain sharp. Also use the hook to wiggle the trunk around if necessary to get a better position to limb.

JimboM said:
Jags said:
Timber jack. I don't head into the woods without it.
+1 Same here. Drop and limb the tree, jack it up and buck it before it gets dirty. Helps me keep the chain sharp. Also use the hook to wiggle the trunk around if necessary to get a better position to limb.

Yep, I have also used it to roll logs off of the stump or to unpinch a bar.

I will try to make it with out any moving if at all possible...I have a timber jack but prefer to look for high spots lighten the log as fast as I can. :cheese:

Log rite with the stand.

That's somdthing i've wondered about also. I've thought of a jack but not familiar with a timber one. I guess i'm a little backward as i've been taking the dirt off the log. I've been using a shovel and the last tree had so many rocks under it that a jack is definitely something to look into. But if the digging is easy i just try to free up as much as i think i can roll to finish my cuts.

CodyWayne718 said:
Jus curious to see if y'all take anything with ya to the woods to get the logs off the ground for bucking. Ya know, to keep your chains out of the dirt and away from those sneaky creek rocks!

1) cut about 3/4 through

2) roll (with a peavey)

3) finish cut

4) If I can't get the log in small enough sections to roll and there's no place on the log that's off the ground I'll just dig out a space to cut.

Timberjack
Sometimes Peavey to roll log up on 2 shorter pieces.

Or cut 2/3rds - 3/4ths through then roll it to finish bottom side

Nothing . . . usually just find a point in the tree that is elevated and cut through . . . do the partial cut and roll technique. I find that I already bring way too much crap into the woods with me . . .

CodyWayne718 said:

I agree with Jags, I cut for one year without one (that was stupid) it will save on your chain big time.

zap

Bigg_Redd said:
CodyWayne718 said:

1) cut about 3/4 through

2) roll (with a peavey)

3) finish cut

4) If I can't get the log in small enough sections to roll and there's no place on the log that's off the ground I'll just dig out a space to cut.

+1, same method as I use. If I don't have a peavey I use a pinch bar with a small log

firefighterjake said:
Nothing . . . usually just find a point in the tree that is elevated and cut through . . . do the partial cut and roll technique. I find that I already bring way too much crap into the woods with me . . .

I have a timberjack and use it on occasion, but I do what Jake does far more often. Winds up taking about half the time to buck a tree than it does using the jack. With the jack you can't really get more than 4-6 feet of one end of a log suspended in the air, which is only 3-4 rounds for me, then you got to move the jack. Alot less time to cut 2/3-3/4 through the log at 20" spacing, roll it once and finsh the cuts.

CodyWayne718 said:
amateur cutter said:
Log rite with the stand.

Logrite what?
Sorry, it's a log rite brand cant hook with a lift stand that's removable. Got it from the stihl dealer. Handiest tool I've bought in years for wood cutting. I'm 5'10" 175, & can get a 2' X 8' oak round off the ground with it, make 2 or 3 cuts, move & go again. A C

I do not like the timberjacks at all. Too much work and takes too much time. Simply cutting the logs but stopping just before touching the ground with the saw. Make as many cuts as you need then simply roll the log to finish the cuts. Quick and easy. Most times there will be a spot where the log is not touching the ground. Or if the log is not too big, it is usually quite easy to simply stick a few short pieces under the log or lay them down and roll the log on top of them.

I still have that worthless timberjack out in the barn somewhere and nobody has been interested in getting it. It is free for the taking if anyone wants it.

Status
Not open for further replies.