What do you cook on your stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
I am sure many donn't cook anything. BUT there must be some out there that do. mine is an inserrt with a short 6 inch ledge so I can warm soup, hot choclate, or make stew on a sunday afternoon....that's about all though. When Ii was a kid we made everything on the stove. Had frequent power outages so Eggs, pancakes, cookies, biscuits...some very flat bread, stew, chili, steak, hot dogs...lots and lots off stuff.

Yep, in the power outage of '05 we pressed our insert into service as a cookstove for 3 days. Pizza, biscuits, warming soup, stew, cooking eggs, all the fun stuff. With a little ingenuity and aluminum foil, not much that can't be cooked given a hot enough fire!

Corey

Taters in foil in the stove .Throw them in the hot coal and let them cook.

Basically, anything that needs heat to cook and fits on top of the stove.

The women used to look at me like a caveman when I was drying my clothes on a rack and heating stuff up on the stove. ( Also got that look while screwing in fluorecent bulbs.)

She was fretting the wintertime $250 electric bill this past fall. (baseboard electric heat) She has a VC stove that was not being used, so I cut and delivered a couple of cords of wood.

So, last week, she's got her laundry drying on the rack, and the top of the VC Resolute had cheesy bread wrapped in foil, corn heating on in a pot, and taters wrapped in foil.

I'm kinda surprised and ask? "Wow, whats up?" She said she just got an $83 dollar electric bill.

P.S. Hey, she even reloads in the middle of the night.

>:-( Grumble grumble grumble....you guys with your free standing stoves.......

I might have to start looking for a 602 to install in the basement just so I can cook too.

One of these would be sort a cool too!!!

Cook stove/bake oven

Can you use any kind of cookware on the top of a woodstove? What about scratching up the enamel?

My favorite -

Roasted Beets! Wrap them in some foil and put them in a covered dish on top for an hour or so.

-Colin

On the stove and in the stove as well.

try this , cut up potatos , onions, carrots, with usual salt, garlic peppers and spices add ground beef steak or pork chop about 1" thick and 6" round.
wrap it in triple layers of foil and place in the coals for about 30-40 min. check it out and enjoy.
You can cook this same foil pack on your cars exhaust manifold on a trip , it takes about 150-200 miles.
You will need to adjust the times to your onw stove or car.

I like to put a dutch oven on top and cook stews, pork and beef roasts.

PaulGuy said:
Roospike said:
Taters in foil in the stove .Throw them in the hot coal and let them cook.

How long?
Get a good coal bed going , break it up a bit and throw the taters on top of the coal . I leave mine in for about 40 or so minutes with the damper turned down with a small-small flame .

zogboy said:
On the stove and in the stove as well.

try this , cut up potatos , onions, carrots, with usual salt, garlic peppers and spices add ground beef steak or pork chop about 1" thick and 6" round.
wrap it in triple layers of foil and place in the coals for about 30-40 min. check it out and enjoy.
You can cook this same foil pack on your cars exhaust manifold on a trip , it takes about 150-200 miles.
You will need to adjust the times to your onw stove or car.
MAny years ago when I was a boy scout we called those "pillow dinners" Havn't thought of those in years. Getting a canoe this year so I can take my boys on a couple float trips. MMMMMMM pillow dinners here I come. might have to introduce the wife to those with the stove. Damn things been so hot lately when I'm reloading it I can't stand to put the wood in.

While I have heard many stories about "Car-b-cue" I have personally never tried it. Used to give a friend a hard time about it because he swore that when he was a kid they cooked a possum that way......and ate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.