What do you do with your chainsaw tools?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
holy moly, maybe I just bring too much, but I have a big tub thing that I bought at wal-mart. kinda like the thing below, but not exactly the same. It's enough to hold a few wedges, the chainsaw, the B&C oil, chaps, helmet, eye & ear protection, work gloves, a maul, an axe, extra chains and sharpening stuff, the small electric saw with power inverter, lunch and drinks, first aid kit, waterdish and food for dog.

'course, when I go to the timber it's a sunrise to sunset sort of thing, so maybe that's why mine is more than a milk-crate....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10569595&findingMethod=rr

Danno77 said:
holy moly, maybe I just bring too much, but I have a big tub thing that I bought at wal-mart. kinda like the thing below, but not exactly the same. It's enough to hold a few wedges, the chainsaw, the B&C oil, chaps, helmet, eye & ear protection, work gloves, a maul, an axe, extra chains and sharpening stuff, the small electric saw with power inverter, lunch and drinks, first aid kit, waterdish and food for dog.

'course, when I go to the timber it's a sunrise to sunset sort of thing, so maybe that's why mine is more than a milk-crate....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10569595&findingMethod=rr

Me thinx U wuz a Boy Scout 1nce upon a time. MayB.
B Pre Paired! MMMM HMMMMMMM.

interchangabLEE said:
I was born outside in -25F temps. There was 20 feet of snow on the ground. I fell straight through the drift and my mother never saw me again. I chopped down my first tree when I was 3 hours old and split and stacked 3 cords before I made my first fire at age 4hrs. after warmed from my hard work I killed a mountain lion by strangling it with my umbilical cord. It made me a good meal for several days and nice clothes for a couple of years. When I was 2 I was discovered by some boyscouts on a nature hike. They had stopped at the natural springs that I frequented 2 times daily to shave my heavy beard. they took me in to town and the rest is history. So, yes, I was an honorary boy scout for a day...

Have a soft sided bag from craftsman that carries everything I need without gas and oil.

Danno77 said:
interchangabLEE said:
I was born outside in -25F temps. There was 20 feet of snow on the ground. I fell straight through the drift and my mother never saw me again. I chopped down my first tree when I was 3 hours old and split and stacked 3 cords before I made my first fire at age 4hrs. after warmed from my hard work I killed a mountain lion by strangling it with my umbilical cord. It made me a good meal for several days and nice clothes for a couple of years. When I was 2 I was discovered by some boyscouts on a nature hike. They had stopped at the natural springs that I frequented 2 times daily to shave my heavy beard. they took me in to town and the rest is history. So, yes, I was an honorary boy scout for a day...
Ja, well... I was born in a log cabin that I built with my own hands.

I usually work out of the old truck. I built this box out of lumber left over from other projects.
DSC05858.jpg

It has three compartments
DSC05862.jpg

Saws, gas, and oil
DSC05859.jpg

Small tools, file, etc.
DSC05860.jpg

PPE, Big tools, axe, mual, peavey, etc.
DSC05861.jpg

Good idea, Thanks. All that stuff lives in the barn in a tool box drawer when I am not out cutting anyway. The box is not even a little weather proof. Nor is it terribly theft proof.

Flatbedford said:
I usually work out of the old truck. I built this box out of lumber left over from other projects.
DSC05858.jpg

It has three compartments
DSC05862.jpg

Saws, gas, and oil
DSC05859.jpg

Small tools, file, etc.
DSC05860.jpg

PPE, Big tools, axe, mual, peavey, etc.
DSC05861.jpg

that 029 looks mint!

Its 13 years old. Probably in less than mint condition. It has had a pretty easy life. I only cut a few cords a year with it. There were probably a couple years that it was never even used between when my parents sold their house and I bought mine.
DSC05385.jpg

Flatbedford said:
Its 13 years old. Probably in less than mint condition. It has had a pretty easy life. I only cut a few cords a year with it. There were probably a couple years that it was never even used between when my parents sold their house and I bought mine.
DSC05385.jpg

still has the boss sticker on it

freeburn said:
Looking for some ideas on where to stow everything chainsaw wise. When you go out to a field, you need your oil, gas, file, and saw wrench, among other things. Wondering what some guys do so as not to lose everything and remember everything each time?

I don't remember everything every time, but. . .

1) My saw wrench lives in my saw case with a couple felling wedges and extra chains so I never forget those

2) My files live in my truck with a couple more extra chains, so I never forget those

3) My bar oil and gas lives next to my Peavey in my garage so it's pretty tuff to forget those

I used to have a dedicated tool box (which was just a large tackle box) in which I kept files, mix oil, wedges, extra chains, saw wrench, etc. This worked well until I ran it over and never bothered replacing it.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
InterchangeabLEE,

Why thanks. I never thought that it would make a cool screen name for Hearth.com. I actually concocted it after visiting some Cowboy Action Shooting forums and thought the way they played with various character names was neat.

I liked Loony-Tune's French Canadian villain, Black Jaque Shellac, and just changed the last name to mimic my own.

Black Jaque Shellac is not the most well known cartoon caracter so I can't even find a picture on the 'net to use as an avatar.

Here you go.

http://www.craphound.com/images/blackjacques.jpg

I use a plastic toolbox. Files, scrench, chalk, torx, etc in the tray. Wedges, oil, gloves, chains, etc in the bottom.

I have an under seat pickup toolbox that came with my cross bed toolbox that chains, files, scrench, extra bar etc goes into. I also have a Rubbermaid Tote that the mix, bar oil, Tordon, wedges, and mix oil go into.

I have a buddy that uses a five gallon bucket with a leather strap screwed to it to make pockets for the scrench, files, etc.

Don

Gee, Flatbed- you really go to town when you get wood, eh.......................

I picked up this nice heavy duty Makita gear bag form Ebay, it's large and hold a lot of gear.
works for me.

Attachments

• Picture 203.jpg
    Picture 203.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 231
I built a wooden tool box with a sliding luan lid and a piece of rubber hose for a handle. I keep everything that I'll need in there including a used quart oil bottle refilled with bar oil and a 22oz fuel bottle http://www.rei.com/product/695244 that carries about an extra tank and a half of fuel. If I'm going to be out cutting more that that I bring the 2.5 gallon can. Strap the tool box on the front rack of my ATV and the saw on the back rack and I'm ready to go.

I usually fill up the saw with gas and oil at home because a full tank can cut more than my truck can hold anyway. chaps, helmet, file, and scrench go in a five gallon pail. Ax, chains, or cable are thrown in separately sometimes.

wendell said:
I use a plastic toolbox. Files, scrench, chalk, torx, etc in the tray. Wedges, oil, gloves, chains, etc in the bottom.
+1

when cutting near the truck i use a milk crate and a small tool box. if i set out further into the woods where the truck can't reach yet i throw everyting i can think i may need into a hiking style back pack with a wastw belt and carry my saw.

x 2 on the milk crate. With a piece of plywood cut in to fit the bottom so nothing falls out.

I use a large plastic ketchup bottle for the bar oil. A large one filled up lasts me the whole day. It is a lot smaller than a gallon of bar oil so it fits better in the milk crate, and the smaller hole makes it easier for me to pour. I can't pour out of a quart container without dumping half of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.