what do you do with your empty bags?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STANG32

Aug 18, 2010
CT
for the past 3 years I have been using the empty bags for kitchen garbage but I am actually starting to have a seriously large supply of them,at the beggining of pellet season this year I still had 4 bags totally stuffed with empty bags from last year, now I have those plus another 100 bags +-.
I use about 3-5bags a week for garbage & always think i will usethem up by end of the fall but i am starting to get bombarded with them, I know I could through them out but it seems like such a waste especially when I see that hefty bag comercial about covering MT renier.
lol

Reactions: Jason845845
I take mine to the recycle center.

^what they said.
local transfer station.
i drop off a whole season's worth tied/bundled in the spring.

My understanding is that if you ask at your recycle center they tell you it is trash as the plastic is not of the correct composition for recycling. If you don't ask, guess you can throw them wherever you like.

I am also looking for things to do with them. So far trash bags works for me. I like weed blocker also.

This question is an ongoing one and there are lots of ideas. But the bags pile up faster than I can use them!

this stuff makes people money. if i can recycle it up here, it shouldn't be that hard for most people closer to civilization to find someone who will take it.

001_zps8767eb7b.jpg

Last edited:
Clearly my info was wrong. Going to have another conversation with the folks at the recycling center tomorrow.

Thanks for the evidence.

Reactions: St_Earl
i tried using them as weedblock but they didnt work out too well. i covered the area with the bags, then a bunch of mulch. few weeks/months later the bag was in the air suspended by weeds! i must have some tough weeds.
Now i just use whatever i can as trash bags for smaller pails, I used some to store christmas decorations and keep them water resistant. they make good tents to keep my small plants humidified. the rest i stuff in my recycle bin and every week they are gone, i dont know if they get recycled or not but nobody ever complained.

I bag mine up and take them to my local WalMart for recycle.

Which Wally World?

They've been working nicely as trash bags lately. Some brands have thicker plastic than others, though.

I take mine to grocery store and put them in the bag recycling bin..

i tried using them as weedblock but they didnt work out too well. i covered the area with the bags, then a bunch of mulch. few weeks/months later the bag was in the air suspended by weeds! i must have some tough weeds.
Now i just use whatever i can as trash bags for smaller pails, I used some to store christmas decorations and keep them water resistant. they make good tents to keep my small plants humidified. the rest i stuff in my recycle bin and every week they are gone, i dont know if they get recycled or not but nobody ever complained.

You MUST have some strong weeds. I have used probably a 1000 around my property, and other than a chipmunk poking some up when they made a home under it, they have all stayed down and have done their job. Important to remember to use them a couple inches from your drip edge out. They could hold some water and you don't want that right next to your foundation.

Reactions: newbieinCT
We have zero sort recycling so the company doesn't accept plastic bags. I'm told that the bags jam up their sorting machinery. Our local grocery store recycles plastic bags so we take them there. I assume they have some sort of bailing machine or something that can handle them.

I think it is pretty common for transfer stations to not accept them. But like others have mentioned, most grocery stores and wall marts will take them. Much greener than throwing them away.

My county's recycling center won't take #4. They say that what they get paid for LDPE doesn't cover the fuel to truck it.

Which Wally World?

They've been working nicely as trash bags lately. Some brands have thicker plastic than others, though.

I take mine to 12th Avenue in Nampa. I think all the Wally's have a bin right inside the front door. Somebody on here a month or so ago brought up the same subject and posted a link to website that listed places that takes recyclables. I will try to find it again.

for the past 3 years I have been using the empty bags for kitchen garbage but I am actually starting to have a seriously large supply of them,at the beggining of pellet season this year I still had 4 bags totally stuffed with empty bags from last year, now I have those plus another 100 bags +-.
I use about 3-5bags a week for garbage & always think i will usethem up by end of the fall but i am starting to get bombarded with them, I know I could through them out but it seems like such a waste especially when I see that hefty bag comercial about covering MT renier.
lol

We pay for road side pickup of trash and he takes everything to the big center with a huge burner in it. They burn 90% of the trash that goes there and they sort before anything enters the burner. But that also is the same place all our dump trash goes to as well. So in the end all trash ends up at this facility. It only costs a few bucks per year more for this private pickup service than to buy the dump sticker plus additional charges they place on various items. So we do that now instead. They closed all land fills in our area decades ago ( except for the town of Bourne and even they watch what they bury), as we have a sole source aquifer water supply under ground here for this whole cape ( Cape Cod). So in the end, the facility in Rochester Ma decides what to do with my coal bags ( soon to be pellet bags), burn or recycle. My guess is it gets burned.

You MUST have some strong weeds. I have used probably a 1000 around my property, and other than a chipmunk poking some up when they made a home under it, they have all stayed down and have done their job. Important to remember to use them a couple inches from your drip edge out. They could hold some water and you don't want that right next to your foundation.

Probably wouldn't advise this in a wet area, these bags are non- permeable . You could have a lake on your hands if you use them in a large area. Shop trash bags, their pretty strong.

Probably wouldn't advise this in a wet area, these bags are non- permeable . You could have a lake on your hands if you use them in a large area. Shop trash bags, their pretty strong.

The bags are semi-permeable ~ due to all those little holes. Otherwise the bags would be tough to stack, and a ton would be a lot taller than it is now. However, they can/do hold some water, that is why I mentioned keeping them past your drip line, if you had read my post.

I take mine to the grocery store..... When I remember to bring them with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.