What do you do

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pair of those welding gloves that go almost up to my elbows. Real heavy duty.

I put them on and use a shovel like mentioned by Fossil .

If I need a little more than the shovel I will use my hand as the gloves are so thick as momentary touching of a real hot piece of wood doesnt phase them.

I have even picked up a piece of coal and flipped it back into the stove real quick no problem.

Now I have a real comfort level with my stove welding gloves , they go back to 1990 when I was burning with my wood furnace.

If I ever got new ones I would have to gain some trust with them. As they dont make things like they used too.

my stove does not have andirons, they only recommend a fire on the floor.

I have a pair of those welding gloves that go almost up to my elbows. Real heavy duty.

I put them on and use a shovel like mentioned by Fossil .

If I need a little more than the shovel I will use my hand as the gloves are so thick as momentary touching of a real hot piece of wood doesnt phase them.

I have even picked up a piece of coal and flipped it back into the stove real quick no problem.

Now I have a real comfort level with my stove welding gloves , they go back to 1990 when I was burning with my wood furnace.

If I ever got new ones I would have to gain some trust with them. As they dont make things like they used too.
I have Harbor Freight Gloves and there the cheaper ones they sell ( i beleive they have hevier ones there) in the bulk pack. The leather is not as thick so it wears out more, but there insulated well. Even those things i can hold a coal for 10 seconds, im talking glowing red, or pick up a burning log hold it as i restraighten the stack then put it in. NOw loading a super hot say 700F stove they get hot after a prolonged reloading/stacking but thats hot!!

I'm having a flashback to one cold morning in Boy Scouts, when a buddy picked up a glowing hot coal with his GoreTex (or some other hi-tech fabric) glove, and we watched his hand go up like a torch. Very entertaining for a group of severely sleep-deprived 12 year old boys...

I have a pair of those welding gloves that go almost up to my elbows. Real heavy duty. I put them on and use a shovel like mentioned by Fossil .

Same here. Very heavy with kevlar stitching. 3 years on the current pair and they're still in great shape. I've grabbed a few small escaping hot coals off the ash lip or the hearth and tossed them right back into the fire without missing a beat. But I always have the shovel ready as sometimes the gloves are too bulky to just pick up a stray, or I have to reach in and push a burning split back.

Status
Not open for further replies.