What do you Folks use ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trophy_67

Just wondering what everyone uses to block off there exhaust hood on the outside of the house to keep out the Bees and Yellow jackets for the summer months?? I have a Simpson Dura vent kit installed with the down facing hood.
We had a snap of warm sunny days and I noticed a Wasp eyein up my shiney S.S. hood on the outside of the house for a summer home!...I am thinkin of either stuffing a rag up in it or askin my grey haired mother to sew me up a cover with a sinch string in it..I dont think wrapping a plastic bag round it will impress the wife ...lol
ANY SUGGESTIONS ?????
Thanks!
Tim

I stuff in some foam matting and throw a plastic bag over mine. Then tape the bag with duct tape. Ugly but works!

Well that was my first thought ...BUT our vent faces the front of the house and folks will be walkin past it all summer ...so I was thinkin of something more pleasing to the eye ...well actually the wife is more into this scenerio ...lol...a bag an duct tape would work for me...BUT YA GOTTA KEEP THE PEACE!..if ya know where I am coming from.

Can you put on a "T" cleanout cap?

just wad up some tinfil from the grill, into a ball, put it in the opening....just dont forget its there in the fall!

My richy friend use's a Crown Royal bag the bottle comes in. Has a sinch on the bag to keep it on. Nice pretty blue bag anyway! Don't think it will fit your hood though!

The facing down hood is easily stuffed with something and it doesn't show. Like LW said don't forget it come fall fire up time.

Since you should clean it after the season and for me that means the termination cap comes off I just stuff an old towel in the cap before I put it back on.

But in my case it wouldn't matter anyway as no one is going to see it.

Bkins said:
Can you put on a "T" cleanout cap?

My Home Depot sells these....great idea. I had taken my cap off the other day for a cleaning and it comes off easily.

Thanks for the idea. I was going to suggest a hair net or shower cap but this will look good :)

Chan

As far as I know(which isn't much!). The clean out Tee cap is male. The cap is female. It will be a gender thing. Unless they make a female cap?

Jeez Jay..always with the gender thing :) Unless they make a female cap, I'm back to the shower cap. I'll let you know what I find.

Chan

I have been known to wait till the little beggars get house keeping all set up and then toss a fire in the stove. :)

Two of ours have screen in the end of the hoods that won't allow bees to crawl in but will let the smoke pass.

3/16 hardware cloth works fine, just keep an eye on it and every so often during the burn season just run a brush over it to knock off any collection of soot.

An open pipe is a very big temptation for bees, birds and other things to moce in for sure.

Bees are easy to evict "Build a fire".
Little birds, I hate to hurt.

Snowy

I'm also a ball of tinfoil kind of guy. Worked fine last year and yes, I remembered it before the first fire in the fall.

As for the gender issue... Some states allow the male/male, female/female thing now I believe.

Thanks for the Great Replies!...I like the idea of putting a reminder note on the plug to remove the rag ill prob. stuff in there.
THANKS FOLKS!

Since mine goes straight up the chimney and exits in the hot sun,
the bees want no part of nesting in there so this is one thing I
don't have to worry about.

I used to just stuff the pipe with newspaper and wrap it up tight with a plastic shopping bag
and duct tape. When second stove was installed I wanted something a little more descreet
because it can be seen from the street so now use wingnut plugs instead.

Attachments

• wing_plug.jpg
    wing_plug.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 202
tinkabranc said:
I used to just stuff the pipe with newspaper and wrap it up tight with a plastic shopping bag
and duct tape. When second stove was installed I wanted something a little more descreet
because it can be seen from the street so now use wingnut plugs instead.

tink,

I like that option, Where can I get one????

jay

Found em at the hardware store in plumbing section. Less than $2.00 a piece.
If you have a 3" pipe, get a 2" plug.

Those expanding plugs are for plumbing pressure testing, or capping off sewer lines during contruction to keep stuff from falling into the pipe and or to keep sewer gas from entering the building.

Many uses for these little jewels.

Most any top flight hardware store will have them. Home depot certainly would.

The biggest threat with chimneys and critters is of course the short horizontal vents.

Birds are not hard to keep out but bees can build quite a large hive in your pellet stove.

Very hard to look cool when you open the door on the stove and find a BUZZZZZZZZILION little critters in a greeting party now in the room with you, and they are not friendly.

If the stove is a Buzzzzin dont be opening the door.

Auto lighters are nice, just turn up the stat and watch the fireworks come out the vent.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.