What do you guys think about Mulberry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naandme

Jan 16, 2011
Eaton, Indiana
I have been cutting a fence row for a farmer now for a couple years, (actually several rows) I have burnt mulberry and find it to be a decent wood but its a pain like osage real brushy and not as good as osage. So alot of times I bypass it for the hickory, oak, osage or locust but after looking down the row I am cutting on now there is anbundance of mulberrys. What is you guys opinon of mulberry as a whole comparied to the other hard woods.

It's fruit makes a nice wine!! (and Preserves)

-Soupy1957

Its good wood, high on the btu charts (in the oak range) I do think if green it takes a while to season.

Excellent fuel,one of the best.About the same density as Red/Black Oak,not quite as much as White/Bur Oak.Can get to very large size if allowed to grow in open areas,woodland edges & away from fencerows.Can be tough to split sometimes,especially in its normal crooked,knotty/gnarly state.If you find large straight pieces,thats pretty uncommon.Has other uses also...

Attachments

• mulberry41707 005.jpg
    mulberry41707 005.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 348
  • mulberrybox,vase&paperweight.jpg
    mulberrybox,vase&paperweight.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 327
Naandme You find one in a yard they get Big real big. Fence line cutting can be a pain.

Next to Hickory....my favorite. If cut and split to 16" X 8" will dry out nicely in 18 months. The only downside I have found is It seems to have an affinity for stinkbugs. I have 6 diffrent species of wood split and stacked near each other and I find the Maulberry has 10times the stink bugs sleeping in it than the Hickory, Oak, Ash, Cherry etc

soupy1957 said:
It's fruit makes a nice wine!! (and Preserves)

-Soupy1957
+ 1 Very much so. :coolsmile:

Plus, it's a really cool purple color after it's been split and stacked in the sun for a while.

Thanks guys, The mulberry I have cut and burnt before was great but like you all said they were cut out of a back yard and were big straight trees. Burnt great and seasoned nicely, the problem with this is the biggest in the fence row is around 12" at the stump and alot of small ones not sure yet if its worth the trouble, but probably will cut them anyway hate leaving FREE good wood behind.

I love mulberry. Great wood score, but it sounds like you've got nothing but quality wood!

You know you are getting good wood (oak,osage,hickory) when getting mulberry is a disappointment!

I love it. And I too love that color after a little bit of sun. I am working on a big one right now, ~25"-30" at the base. (atleast one of the bigger ones in the area)
When I had some burning the other day and was outside, the smell reminded me of BBQing with it during summer, yummy!

I never turn down mulberry. Best wood to use for smoking a beer can chicken. The berries are also great in a pie. As firewood it creates the best sparking show in the stove with plenty of heat output. I also think it seasons a little faster than oak.

The only drawback to it is the powdery mess in the woodpile probably more than any other wood species as there is a an affinity to draw wood boring bugs and it is not a good idea to take a poker to it while burning.

I only had a dead branch to burn.Enough to fill my stove.The wood burned very well and very hot which I liked a lot.

Mulberry s some primo stuff. Right up there with most oaks and locust and hickory. I'd take mulberry in a second burns long and hot, one of the best.

JBinKC said:
I never turn down mulberry. Best wood to use for smoking a beer can chicken. The berries are also great in a pie. As firewood it creates the best sparking show in the stove with plenty of heat output. I also think it seasons a little faster than oak.

The only drawback to it is the powdery mess in the woodpile probably more than any other wood species as there is a an affinity to draw wood boring bugs and it is not a good idea to take a poker to it while burning.

I like Mulberry as well. The only objection I have is the popping. It makes things difficult when adding wood to a fire. Some other species have this tendency as well. Still, it doesn't prevent me from burning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.