What do you guys think of this Homelite?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hey guys - I've offered $30 for this saw, he'll take $35. I was looking for a saw to breakdown to learn how to repair my saw better. But, it runs, so might keep it as a back up until there is as problem and then take it apart. I assume it's a junky saw, my Dad had an old Homelite for about 25 years and it worked for that long, so perhaps it would be a decent backup saw. Thoughts? Cheers!

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/2759723919.html

That is NOT your Daddy's Homelite. Pix are too dark to tell much, other than that it's a "Homelite" in name only, probably built somewhere in the Orient well after Homelite closed their doors.
Not saying it's a bad saw, just saying it's likely not what you're thinking it is. Not much to lose on it- $30 about covers b&c.

Buy it and enjoy playing with your $35 toy. Take it apart, and if you can get it back together and it works, that' great! If not, where else can you get 8 hours of entertainment for $35.

Matt

I have a Homelite Timberman, saw looks similar to the one in the pic ( a little hard to tell as it is dark).
It it not a bad saw, cuts OK with a good sharp chain. Can't go too far wrong for $35.

PS I have a Poulan 14" ( the puke green one in the pic) you can have for $10, if you want something to play around with.
It ran last time I used it, but had an issue with stalling when idling. LMK.

Need to get rid some of the saws.

Attachments

• Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 397
good luck with it

Have fun!

For a little less money you could buy this saw which has an overall better consumer rating.

Attachments

• 36559.jpg
    36559.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 302
Trktrd said:
For a little less money you could buy this saw which has an overall better consumer rating.

Ha! Brought home the saw - I don't think it saw much use - very clean and runs very well, but compression is low and leaks gas. I'm going to have fun breaking the whole saw down and learning some stuff. I think I'll just try to break down and rebuild a bunch of times and get more comfortable with the inner working of a basic 2-stroke engine - that's really what I need and $35 is a great price to learn! Cheers!

All kidding aside, congrats on the project saw. You can't put a price on knowledge.

If the compression is low maybe replace the piston and ring. The cylinder can often be reconditioned with muratic acid. Lots of chainsaw info here: http://www.arboristsite.com/

Get a carb kit too.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.