What do you guys think of this little echo?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Instead of dumping $$ into my Husky 142 with a burned piston... maybe I should just pick up this little 36.3cc. I think I can get it for $100. Guy says he just bought it this spring to cut up a couple of trees in his yard, and he'll never need it again. I have my MS 290 for the big jobs -- I just need a lightweight saw for limbing. I've always had good experiences with Echo line-trimmers and leaf blowers, but not Echo chainsaws.... any good? http://longisland.craigslist.org/tls/2538010756.html

barely used echo chainsaw used to clear 3 trees starts right up text 6318757256 or email

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 0 image 1

Seems decent to me, but I don't know my Echos very well.

Yea now your on the right track make it a 330 or 360t and your rolling! ;-)

That does look good. I think Echo has a good reputation, I have seen lots out here in the PNW.

Echos have a small but faithful following among pros. Carvers love the little ones, Echo even sponsors a world-class chainsaw carving team. My little 306 is very well made and seems very rugged compared to anything I've seen in its class, but it vibrates more than my other small saws so I don't use it as often. Starts third pull every time, though, and has adequate power for such a tiny saw (30cc).

For about 80 bucks more,,,you can get a new Stihl MS170 or MS 180. Great limbing saw. Also a new Saw warranty with dealer support is always nice. I had a MS180 for a few years, loved it. Good luck.

Having had this 170 into pieces, I don't think I'd buy one new. Used, sure, but new? I dunno that they are worth it. Although, I guess the warranty could be beneficial.

Either way, Echo's are not bad saws (But neither is Husqvarna, Jonsered, etc ...)

I gotta agree that looking at a new saw for around the $200.00 mark makes a lot of sense to me as opposed to buying a used saw that may or may not have been taken care of. (Who knows what kind of mix/fuel it ran.) If that Echo needs a new bar/chain then the cost advantages erode quickly.

And yup, that Stihl MS180 is just about the best saw I've seen for $200. Lightweight, Durable, Cheap & easy to repair, Low cost consumables, and they just keep going, and going, and going .... Lot's of the older 018's out there still cutting.

Grab it. My wee 280E is almost 30yrs old now,tough little saw.Used a lot when climbing & pruning when I was younger.No idea about their larger models,but their smaller ones are very durable & reliable.

Yep, snag it.

I'd do it.

Bigg_Redd said:
I'd take that Echo over any Stihl/Husqy "homeowner grade" saw

What makes a Stihl a homeowner grade saw? They classify many saws as "occasional user" saws. Personally, I happen to like this particular occasion user a lot. ;-)

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS200.html

Seriously, grab that Echo or one of us will. Even at $125 it's a great price for a tough little saw.

Oktoberfest must have been in full swing when they classified and/or priced the MS200

HittinSteel said:
Oktoberfest must have been in full swing when they classified and/or priced the MS200

Yep 700.00 ;-)

Same engine as the 200T, so definitely misclassified. It's a screaming hot little saw, but the price is out of this world. My 339XP is smoother, more powerful, weighs just a bit more and costs $200 less. Both are pro saws IMHO.

Battenkiller said:
Same engine as the 200T, so definitely misclassified. It's a screaming hot little saw, but the price is out of this world. My 339XP is smoother, more powerful, weighs just a bit more and costs $200 less. Both are pro saws IMHO.

I can almost see that one costing as much as it does with the top handle, but a rear handle 35cc saw worth 700.00.....Guess if you have everything that would be sweet backing up the 200t! ;-)

Im going to meet the guy in an hour...I'll let you guys know how it works out......... :blank:

smokinjay said:
I can almost see that one costing as much as it does with the top handle, but a rear handle 35cc saw worth 700.00.

Actually, it has more parts so it is even more $$$ than the 200T. The question is, why does the danged 200T cost so much in the first place?

Three answers:

Demand, demand, and demand.

Good luck, WFA. Pics when you get back with it, OK? ;-)

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
I can almost see that one costing as much as it does with the top handle, but a rear handle 35cc saw worth 700.00.

Actually, it has more parts so it is even more $$$ than the 200T. The question is, why does the danged 200T cost so much in the first place?

Three answers:

Demand, demand, and demand.

Good luck, WFA. Pics when you get back with it, OK? ;-)

Go ask that on a arborist forum and they'll tell you it's cause they climb 40 ft up a tree to top/prune it and drop the saw, it smashes into the ground case first, they pick it up, pull the rope and go back to work. Truth be told, most arborists insist on the MS200T because there isn't another top handle that has that kind of power to weight ratio and a reputation for running forever. I've repaired many a 020T (the previous model) and sent it on it's way.

FWIW the MS200 and MS200T are the same saw differing only in handle configuration. I think it's ludicrous to call the MS200 an "occasional use" saw. It's generally sold to tree professionals as the "ultimate limbing saw." It is most certainly built (and priced!) as a pro saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.