What do you look for in a gas splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billjustbill

Dec 26, 2008
Texas
With wood going up, $225-$275 for oak; split and stacked, I see the need for more work to offset the costs. Around this North Central Texas Metroplex, fallen big trees and knotty rough ones people just want hauled away are going to be my best resource.

What qualities in price, engines, splitting tonnage, and other factors do you consider making wood splitting faster and easier? Are 4-Way splitting heads worth having?

With final purchases of supplies and equipment for my solar panel project almost ready to start, monthly cost of living expenses like groceries and gasoline, and several "surprise" trips to the dentist, I've been using my credit card to earn bonus points on purchases that earn double and triple points. If I can't pay off the purchases at the end of the month, I don't use it, but I've earned a $500 gift card for any Sears store and it would be a good chunk off the splitter's cost. Do you have a brand and/or a place that has good quality and sale prices that you've purchased from?

Thanks for the insight,
Bill

Last edited:
With wood going up, $225-$275 for oak; split and stacked, I see the need for more work to offset the costs. Around this North Central Texas Metroplex, fallen big trees and knotty rough ones people just want hauled away are going to be my best resource.

What qualities in price, engines, splitting tonnage, and other factors do you consider making wood splitting faster and easier? Are 4-Way splitting heads worth having?

With final purchases of supplies and equipment for my solar panel project almost ready to start, monthly cost of living expenses like groceries and gasoline, and several "surprise" trips to the dentist, I've been using my credit card to earn bonus points on purchases that earn double and triple points. If I can't pay off the purchases at the end of the month, I don't use it, but I've earned a $500 gift card for any Sears store and it would be a good chunk off the splitter's cost. Do you have a brand and/or a place that has good quality and sale prices that you've purchased from?

Thanks for the insight,
Bill

Most folks here would say 22 ton seems to be the sweet spot when it comes to hydraulic splitters . . . it will handle about anything you can throw at it.

Engine . . . While I am a Honda guy, my MTD came with a Briggs engine and honestly it has been running fine since I bought it in 2009 or 2010 (I forget the exact year) and I really cannot complain. Truthfully, the engine seems to be a relatively cheap part to replace if I ever need to do so -- depending if I go OEM or a Harbor Freight Chinese special . . . but for now that is not really even a concern as it is still chugging along fine.

Prices: If you're going with a hydraulic figure on $800-$1,200 I would say . . . depending on the brand and if you can get any discounts.

Truthfully, I find my 27-ton MTD a bit slow sometimes, but it still works faster than me with a maul . . . and is a lot easier . . . and even if it is slow, at the end of a splitting session I am still feeling tired . . . so having a wicked fast splitter is not a priority. I have never used a four way splitter . . . mostly because much of the knotty stuff (and the size of the wood) I process would most likely not work out all that well.

Here's one model that has been getting high reviews from many members here as of late . . .

http://www.sears.com/dirty-hand-too...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

For me, it's being able to go vertical (I don't go that way often, but it sure is nice when I want to) - and not so big that I can't move it around some by hand. Mine is usually behind my ATV or trailer on a ball - but for the times it isn't, it's nice to be able to move it around & easily re-position it by hand.

From there, being able to work the controls & split from either side. Then nothing hanging down to catch stuff when I'm towing it through the woods. Then the motor being away from the splitting area so falling chunks won't do motor damage. A small removeable table/rack also seems a must.

There are times when a 4-way might help - but it's not on my priority list. If I had one, it would need to be easily removeable.

(Generally speaking).

Second the 22 ton dirty hand recommendation.....keep an eye open at your local lowes....the sales they have are quite good. As an aside, $225 stacked is not all that bad: between gas, insurance, time to get wood, cut it up and split, and then stack you might ask yourself why it isnt $625 ;lol;lol

Hmmm...key words like "Texas" - "Fallen big trees" - "knotty ones"....thems some important words to think about. Texas grows some pretty tough stuff in the wood world. I am also one that agrees with the 22 ton being able to do most of what most folks are gonna work up. Your key words make me question if you fit into the "most" category. If I were in the same position as you, I think I would be looking to upgrade from a 22 ton unit. Just my opinion.

Oh - 4 way wedges don't like knotty, twisty stuff.

I have a speedco 22 ton with the Briggs motor. It has a big store brand name on it .Splits vertical or horizontal. It has split over 50 cord with 0 issues. All hard wood, some big knotty pieces. Sometimes she grunts a bit but I haven't found a piece it wouldn't split. It was definitely worth the 950$ I payed. I really like the bolt on shelf to catch the spilt. Works best if you have someone you can trust to run the lever while one loads.

I worked at a mill for a bit there was a huge sign on the wall

"Stay at ten" ;)

Lotta good threads in the Gear Forum if you need more info...

Thanks for the insight,This would do ya,nothing it can't handle,9 horsepower Honda,starts with one pull,change oil every 40 hours,Amsoil synthetic 1 quart 8 years and not one problem,and I use it just finished over 100 tons some rounds 4 feet across.Only negative 650 lbs ,can get tiring moving it ,but the Suzuki handles it.
Bill
log splitter.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Brave 34 ton.

I have 5 ton electric and it works great. A little slower then the gas but it does 95% of what a gas one does. I have been looking at looking at the dht 22 ton ton with the 4 way. That would be a dramagic improvement in output. It's about 1k at lowes. Also my electric cost me 300 and has done about 15 cords so far.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
The Gear section of the forum has many threads like this. I personally have an Ariens 22T with the Subaru engine and it does me good for personal use. I debated the 22T DHT and thought it looked good as well. I had a large giftcard for HD when I bought it. I was out the door under $600.00 for the splitter. If you are commercial then, you may want to go bigger and faster.

Last edited:
I've always used a log splitter, just got a new one earlier this year and love it.This one is well build and handles itself pretty good, the Honda Motor is really nice and good on gas compared to the other one I used with the briggs engine. Got this one at Northern tools for $1700
20160729_185514.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I split most of my wood by hand. I have a little 5 ton splitter to play with but if I was in the market for a real splitter I'd be considering one of these http://www.supersplit.com/home/index.html

Now please understand I have never used one of these so I'm not making any official recommendation, but these seem so much faster than the typical slow moving hydraulic splitters.

I split most of my wood by hand. I have a little 5 ton splitter to play with but if I was in the market for a real splitter I'd be considering one of these http://www.supersplit.com/home/index.html

Now please understand I have never used one of these so I'm not making any official recommendation, but these seem so much faster than the typical slow moving hydraulic splitters.

I know somebody that owns one of these kinetic splitters and he swore by it because if its speed. He kept harping on me for my Ariens 22T, being a 12 second return. After hearing him brag for a bit, I had to see it in person. I went to his house and took a look. I admit, it is very fast with a 3 second return. It is always ready to go after a split. However, it only seemed to handle smaller rounds and is a horizontal only splitter. So I went and brought him a 36 inch round that I typically would need to split. Not only did it take both of us to load it up, but the splitter just bounced off the round. Proof is in the pudding. Now granted, it does have its place if you are splitting <12" rounds that you can easily lift, place, and split in less than 3 seconds constantly then it is a better splitter, but if you are managing 30"+ rounds, you don't need 3 second splitting time.

I know somebody that owns one of these kinetic splitters and he swore by it because if its speed. He kept harping on me for my Ariens 22T, being a 12 second return. After hearing him brag for a bit, I had to see it in person. I went to his house and took a look. I admit, it is very fast with a 3 second return. It is always ready to go after a split. However, it only seemed to handle smaller rounds and is a horizontal only splitter. So I went and brought him a 36 inch round that I typically would need to split. Not only did it take both of us to load it up, but the splitter just bounced off the round. Proof is in the pudding. Now granted, it does have its place if you are splitting <12" rounds that you can easily lift, place, and split in less than 3 seconds constantly then it is a better splitter, but if you are managing 30"+ rounds, you don't need 3 second splitting time.

Couldn't have said it better

You can't go wrong with a Wallenstein splitter. I've used a WX540 w/ 4-way wedge for 3 years now and it never skips a beat. The only change I'd make if I could would be to decrease the return cycle rate. It's seriously over-built and worth every penny.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gboutdoors
I do mostly big knotty oak with my DHT-22, and it crunches right through. It does slow down a lot when pushing sideways through the grain in a big knotty elbow, but I haven't found anything that will actually stop it and require a second whack.

I've only split about a cord of oak and maple with it so far though; elm might be more of a challenge (if there"s any elm trees left to burn anyway).

DHT does make a 27 ton model, but it seems to have the same engine and hydraulic pump, and a bigger cylinder and higher cycle time. I actually had the option to buy a slightly damaged-in-shipping 27 at about the same price as a 22, and took the 22 anyway. I was sorry to lose the log table, but I wanted the faster splitter.

Now that I have it, I think the 27 would have been just fine also, as the 22 is faster than I can keep up with.

Last edited:
Through a lot of "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday" sale discounts, plus "free" shipping, I ordered the Titan 37 ton "Push Through" splitter.... $2,180.00. It's still on backorder until Jan. 17.... but I've funded more than half that cost with profits from several flea market/garage sale finds that I've sold on Craigslist and with garage sale found brass and copper scrap metal selling events... LOL.

http://www.palletforks.com/titan-ou...er-37-ton-tractor-mount-w-log-lift-catch.html

Almost identical version of the same splitter, but no discounts, $360 paid for shipping, and $250 higher.

This splitter takes 12 gallons of AW32 hydraulic oil and it's been an adventure getting it. When Amazon sent three cartons, each with four 1-gallon jugs of "Mag 1" in original large print factory shipping cartons with a label slapped on them, anyone could tell what's inside. Apparently somebody at the Ft. Worth UPS center liked the oil.
Two cartons arrived...sort of.... You know something is wrong when carton quietly "sloshes" and the second carton rattles and bumps as it is picked up. One of three cartons was delivered in great shape. The second one was tampered with, by removing 2 of the one gallon jugs and putting back 2 small bottles of Pead-a-Sure formula for children, three bags of green flat glass marbles, and a fizzing soap egg with a Stegosaurus inside..... then clear taped over the opening. Of the two cartons delivered in the 6:00 pm December darkness, the UPS driver put the opened carton with the clear opening turned upside down on the porch and took off like a "Bat-Out-Of-Heaven".....I was expecting the order and within 60 seconds of the "knock on the door", I opened the front door and only saw his tail lights..... The third carton was traced to the same 1:00 a.m. UPS distribution center and then it completely disappeared..... to this day, the tracking number still shows it never left the the UPS facility. When I called the Ft. Worth, Texas UPS complaint number, the employee listened, checked the tracking numbers that took "forever" to call out, then said there was nothing they could do. It was up to the "Shipper to initiate the investigation." Amazon has been great in making things right. They let me keep the two extra gallons of hydraulic oil....and the other stuff.... and sent me two new cartons, each with four one gallon jugs.

As I'm awaiting the backorder, I continue to learn it must be registered for highway pullling..... Here in Texas I've learned that if it has a trailer hitch and is pulled down the road, even as little as once or twice a year, it has to be register. A "Temp Tag", good for 30 days cost $25.00, or a yearly plate cost is $56.00.....the splitter weighs about 1,000 lbs. Still, that costs as much as a small 5'x8' trailer with a 3,000 lb. axle/weight load cost to register..... A slow moving vehicle like a farm tractor pulled or self powered piece of farm machinery is the only way a slow moving orange triangle sign is used....

It seems every department of state or local government wants in your pocket to get their share out of your money....

I'll update the posting when I get the splitter if some of you will let me know. Thanks to all who shared in answering my original questions.

Bill

Attachments

• aMAZON oRDER wrong OR tAMPERED wITH 001.JPG
    aMAZON oRDER wrong OR tAMPERED wITH 001.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 338
  • aMAZON oRDER wrong OR tAMPERED wITH 005.JPG
    aMAZON oRDER wrong OR tAMPERED wITH 005.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 304
  • Splitter pd. by Copper & Brass 020.JPG
    Splitter pd. by Copper & Brass 020.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 316
  • New splitter pd. by Copper & Brass 025.JPG
    New splitter pd. by Copper & Brass 025.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Reactions: Wickets

Thanks for the insight,
Bill
Bill it takes a heck of a splitter to run a 4-way. Your everyday splitter from the box stores won't cut it if you want to run a 4-way and want to split everything.They will be fine for smaller stuff.Been there and done that. If you are just splitting for your self you would be well served to look into getting a Speeco Splitter in the 22-28 ton range. They can be had for around $950-$1,000. I used one HARD for years to sell firewood and it was a absolute champ! There are ways to overcome really big rounds from really big trees to turn them into manageable pieces for your splitter. I ran a Stihl MS 660 with FULL CHISEL chain to quarter the big rounds into manageable pieces. Works like a charm.The Speeco can be found at TSC and Rural King and Blains farm stores.Money well spent. The only reason I sold the one I had was to upgrade to a $7500 commercial splitter with a 4 and 6 way head with a log lift...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazzberry
Or you can spend much less than 1/3 the price and do it the easier way with a tilting splitter while you do most of your work sitting on a round. Notice the all important chair next to the round being split.
(County Line 22 ton made by Speeco new for around $800)

fullsizeoutput_36f6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_36f5.jpeg
IMG_4249.JPG
fullsizeoutput_36f8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: wpgibson
I bought a dirty hands tools 22 ton from lowes in August, the build quality when it was out together was terrible. I had leaks out of the hydrologic fittings at 4 different places within 2 hours of steady work. I repaired them, but when it started a new leak at a different connection on the next use, I returned it for a full refund, and went across the street to HD to pickup a Ariens 27 ton that was on sale.

After about 10 hours of use, I had to tighten one loose fitting, but that's it (and do an initial oil change).
I've split gnarly oak and sycamore, and recently started working a location that's primarily locust.
b32ff912bbc3b826d7a3de8792b5e9ea.jpgee6f21655c145f128a4ecf5e36580f71.jpge5f25712a068c63cc4b092fd6b4577a3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jay106n
I've always used a log splitter, just got a new one earlier this year and love it.This one is well build and handles itself pretty good, the Honda Motor is really nice and good on gas compared to the other one I used with the briggs engine. Got this one at Northern tools for $1700
View attachment 184132
I have the same splitter and love it. Only split eight cords with it so far with no problems

Reactions: redyute