What do you pay to dump home construction debris? $75, $25 per carload or 0.10 cents/lb?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our town just eyeballs what you have unless its a predefined amount. I learned to bring something that is a predefined amount and they do not charge you for the rest or charge you very little. I filled a 5 * 8 trailer this weekend with building debris scrap wood it was pretty full. I threw a microwave on top which is $5 to get rid of. Person charged me $7 to get rid of it all.

We're on a yearly metering system here and a solid waste disposal fee is added to the property tax bill. As long as you don't exceed a yearly set amount you don't get charged extra.

I take a load of 3-6 32 Gallon garbage cans to the transfer station every 4-6 weeks and then the occasional yard debris and tree trimmings which gets ground up for fuel at the transfer station. I can't remember what the yearly tonnage limit is before you get charged more but I do know I've never even come close to exceeding it.

While renovating our house slowly ... a room at a time ... I usually broke down the trash into pieces that would fit into the 55 gallon trash can and it went out with the weekly trash ... a bit more work and slower process as it couldn't all go at once.

I paid $28 for a pick up load (short bed) just a couple weeks ago.

I take it to my mother in law's house, they take anything curbside.

I can get a 30 yd can delivered for $150 and $80/ton disposal... and I can throw pretty much anything in it that isn't hazardous or a free flowing liquid.... considering how much my town charges ($25 for a mattress!) it's gonna be money well spent when I gut the plaster from the unused upstairs bedrooms.

for general household stuff... I just bring it to my dad's dumpster at his business.... I know the dumping schedule, and the way we look at it, the thing might as well be full when dumped since it costs the same full or empty.

on the scrap metal front.... I don't know why anyone would ever pay the town dump to get rid of metal... I keep heavy steel trashcans at my house that I just keep tossing scrap into (sorting as I go). when they're full... off to the scrap yard I go

Status
Not open for further replies.