What do you store wood in in house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably wood roaches which like moisture, I stack my wood in single rows in the wind and sun and in over 30 years have never had any bugs in the house to speak of and I have a fair amount of wood in the house, the mess is part of the wood burning expeirence.;)

It's weird I've had those roaches come out form under the bark of trees I just dropped and started bucking. They have these real cool tunnels eaten into the tree, usually at points of earlier damage to the tree. I've about a cord of red oak I split and stacked in single rows on pallets about 2 years ago and this past September I noticed the bark comming off some of the top splits as it often does with oak and when I pealed the loose bark from the splits, the little buggers went scurrying every place.!!! Only once have I actually found them in wood I've brought in to burn. They did not get active until the split got hot, then it was too late for them. Like Cheach and Chong, Up In Smoke! Just don't want to chance it.

I bent this carrier / holder from a single piece of electrical conduit. I may paint it before next season.

I have a quarter-cord rack in the basement, divided in half. When one half is empty, I refill it from the outdoor stacks and start burning from the other half, so that the wood has at least a few days to warm up before its used. The carrier I made will hold enough wood to pack my insert solid, with a couple of sticks left over. That's about all I care to carry up the stairs at once anyhow.

Good looking insert man. Looked into that one pretty heavily.

image-jpg.87743

I am planning on something like this with good quality swivel casters hidden underneath. I have an old wooden military ammo box with wheels on it now. I roll it over to the patio door and unlock the door. When I am out shoveling or working in the garage I can walk around, open the patio door, load the box, load the kindling bucket and close the door. No muss no fuss. Then later, I can roll the box near the stove or even roll the box in front of the stove when loading. I want my design to hold the newpaper, matches, kindling and maybe even my ash vac. I'll post pics when I get to that project (probably this summer or fall).
That sounds like a good plan. I made mine with casters. Invest in good caster. I had to replace the first set I bought.

Rubbermaid bin for the longer pieces and a couple of trash cans sorted into (1) N/S splits + short uglies and (2) kindling.

I don't get to keep my wood in the living room like some of you do. It's in the basement laundry room. Maybe if I upgraded from a Rubbermaid bin and a couple of trash cans, the wood supply might be invited to a more luxurious location! Worth a try.

Reactions: tfdchief
Status
Not open for further replies.