1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What do you think about this project saw?

Post in 'The Gear' started by herdbull, Nov 24, 2012.

1. herdbull

herdbull Member

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    So stumbling through my local cities on CL I came across this...

http://appleton.craigslist.org/for/3421607487.html

It definitely has caught my eye as a potential winter project. I would need to go see it though and honestly I have no idea what I'm looking for. Any tips or thoughts other than the obvious?

I'm guessing it's pretty rough and who knows what's "missing".

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    For 100 bucks I'd grab it.Even if it needed $200 worth of new parts/repairs,you'd still have one helluva saw at a decent price when finished.Could be a fun project to tinker on in your spare time.
  3. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    If you need something bigger than your 044 I would go for it. I took a quick glance at ebay and there were about 1000 parts there for sale for 064, all the essential things included. Like Thistle said, you almost can't go wrong for $100. There are plenty of good folks here to help you along on your project saw.
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Be hard to turn down a 90cc saw for $100. You could sink hundreds into it and still come out ahead.
    Nixon likes this.
  5. herdbull

herdbull Member

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    asking me if I need something bigger than the 044 is like asking a race car driver if his car is fast enough :). Seems the price is great which scares me a little. There's enough guys around here that cut so why it's still for sale is beyond me.

It's a lot of saw but boy would it be fun. Then again, a guy that really knows nothing about rebuilding a saw looking at buying one from what seems like a guy that doesn't know much about what he has for sale could be a big mistake on my end. Plus I'm sure there's 1 or 2 special tools I may need to do this that I don't have. Then again, for the price.....

I guess I better at least call him and see what more info he has.