What do you think about this project saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herdbull

Dec 31, 2010
Wisconsin
So stumbling through my local cities on CL I came across this...

http://appleton.craigslist.org/for/3421607487.html

It definitely has caught my eye as a potential winter project. I would need to go see it though and honestly I have no idea what I'm looking for. Any tips or thoughts other than the obvious?

I'm guessing it's pretty rough and who knows what's "missing".

For 100 bucks I'd grab it.Even if it needed $200 worth of new parts/repairs,you'd still have one helluva saw at a decent price when finished.Could be a fun project to tinker on in your spare time.

If you need something bigger than your 044 I would go for it. I took a quick glance at ebay and there were about 1000 parts there for sale for 064, all the essential things included. Like Thistle said, you almost can't go wrong for $100. There are plenty of good folks here to help you along on your project saw.

Be hard to turn down a 90cc saw for $100. You could sink hundreds into it and still come out ahead.

Reactions: Nixon
asking me if I need something bigger than the 044 is like asking a race car driver if his car is fast enough :). Seems the price is great which scares me a little. There's enough guys around here that cut so why it's still for sale is beyond me.

It's a lot of saw but boy would it be fun. Then again, a guy that really knows nothing about rebuilding a saw looking at buying one from what seems like a guy that doesn't know much about what he has for sale could be a big mistake on my end. Plus I'm sure there's 1 or 2 special tools I may need to do this that I don't have. Then again, for the price.....

I guess I better at least call him and see what more info he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.