What do you think? Husband crafted...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsD

Feb 15, 2015
North Shore, MA
Hey guys and gals!

Husband built this while I was at work this weekend. I love it! He saw a picture and copied it. He kept it a secret. I'm really proud. He built us a bed recently from some online plans. I'm amazed at his skills that just came about from boredom and a desire to have exactly what we want without paying through the roof for it (well, and wanting to organize my mess of splits in his view at all times...). It holds a [shoulder season's] DAY worth of wood. Not sure if the pictures will do it justice, but it's quite huge.

He said, "why don't you post it on hearth.com?" Lol. My pleasure, babe.

I'm probably going to stain it dark when I get a chance (I am the opposite of bored these days!).

I added some bed pics to show him off. He deserves it.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like he's got his priorities in order. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: MrsD
I clicked on the larger pictures mainly just to make sure he provided space for kindling and newspaper. Good job.

1 days worth of wood is a good size for an indoor rack. Mine (cheap store-bought rack) is a bit small, but close enough.

I clicked on the larger pictures mainly just to make sure he provided space for kindling and newspaper. Good job.

1 days worth of wood is a good size for an indoor rack. Mine (cheap store-bought rack) is a bit small, but close enough.

I was impressed that he included space for those. He's used to them all hanging out together in a pile in the living room. It must have been bothering him since last year . It's only going to be our second winter burning!

I like it and want to steal the idea. We can fit about a weeks worth of shoulder season wood next to our stove, I would love to make this bigger for the occasion, as it is I just do a log cabin stack on one end and the other end sits against a wall. It is nice being able to grab everything during the day on Sunday so I am not running out to the cold each night after work.

It is nice being able to grab everything during the day on Sunday when it is 75º outside in january so I am not running out to the cold each night after work when it decides it is going to snow the next hour here in colorado.

i fixed it for you :)

Really nice job! The bed looks great!

Really nice job! The bed looks great!

Thanks! He builds it, and I finish it. We went with a matte poly--his request. I wouldn't have chosen it, but it looks much more natural that way and I ended up loving it.

We're pretty big wood enthusiasts in general.

I like it and want to steal the idea. We can fit about a weeks worth of shoulder season wood next to our stove, I would love to make this bigger for the occasion, as it is I just do a log cabin stack on one end and the other end sits against a wall. It is nice being able to grab everything during the day on Sunday so I am not running out to the cold each night after work.

I agree! I try to get as much in here as I can possibly fit. I work nights, though, so luckily I don't have the issue of the dark and cold in the evening.

My husband is a firefighter! There are so many on this fireplace website. Coincidence? I think not.

Good job I like neat.

bob

Nice job . . . the bed looks especially nice.

Wow that bed looks great!

One thing that you might like is to get some wheels for the rack, i put my rack on a dolly and its really nice to roll it from the door when full.

Mines not as nice as yours i just slapped my rack on one of theseH-3318.jpg

Wow that bed looks great!

One thing that you might like is to get some wheels for the rack, i put my rack on a dolly and its really nice to roll it from the door when full.

Mines not as nice as yours i just slapped my rack on one of theseView attachment 186767

That is actually a great idea, thanks.

Once I pick up a load of wood, I have to put down the bag, open a gate, close the gate, pick up the bag; walk to the back door, put down the bag, open the door, pick up the bag; walk through the house, drop off the wood in the holder... Three times. When we are burning 24/7, that becomes cumbersome.

If I had these wheels, I could bring the holder right to the back door--cut each trip in half.

I'll bring it up to the chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.