1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What do you think of the Raven?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Jack Straw, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. FrankMA

FrankMA Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley - Northeastern MA
    At a rumoured price tag of about $3K, I'd be a bit concerned about build quality and longevity. A quasi tractor and generator all rolled up into one package seems like a stretch but I guess time will tell.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Generator is only 120V this year. That's a shortcoming for sure. Sounds like they realize this and are planning a 240v version for 2014.
  4. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Meh.
  5. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Pretty interesting idea. I think I'd be a little to rough on it, but is still give it a whirl.
  6. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

Interesting idea, but it kind of looks like a toy. My dream is to build one of these:

[​IMG]

I'd want to incorporate an onboard generator and air compressor.
    Jack Straw likes this.
  7. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

I worry about parts/service availability with those too. Since it's exclusively sold @ Lowes, who is going to provide parts and service for the machine? Lowes? ;lol we know their track record with that.

If you want a mower that can haul, we call those garden tractors. Which BTW, can move waaaay more weight than the Raven ever will. I wonder how fuel efficiency is, I can't see it being superior to what's available now.

Deere put out a GT235E garden tractor about 10-12 years ago that had enough of an on-board generator built in that would run about 15 amps @ 120V IIRC. It never took off and the 120V system didn't take well to all the dirt and debris generated by mowing. I wouldn't want to subject the Raven's generator to that either.

I still think a small utility vehicle like the Gator CX will do everything the Raven will do (minus mowing) and do it better. Throw a small genny in the back, hook on a trailer and get to work. Mow with a dedicated mower. It's more $$ of course but I'm betting the whole system would last 2x or longer.