What do you think of the Raven?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
At a rumoured price tag of about $3K, I'd be a bit concerned about build quality and longevity. A quasi tractor and generator all rolled up into one package seems like a stretch but I guess time will tell.

Generator is only 120V this year. That's a shortcoming for sure. Sounds like they realize this and are planning a 240v version for 2014.

Pretty interesting idea. I think I'd be a little to rough on it, but is still give it a whirl.

Interesting idea, but it kind of looks like a toy. My dream is to build one of these:

cadtrac03.jpg

I'd want to incorporate an onboard generator and air compressor.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

I worry about parts/service availability with those too. Since it's exclusively sold @ Lowes, who is going to provide parts and service for the machine? Lowes? ;lol we know their track record with that.

If you want a mower that can haul, we call those garden tractors. Which BTW, can move waaaay more weight than the Raven ever will. I wonder how fuel efficiency is, I can't see it being superior to what's available now.

Deere put out a GT235E garden tractor about 10-12 years ago that had enough of an on-board generator built in that would run about 15 amps @ 120V IIRC. It never took off and the 120V system didn't take well to all the dirt and debris generated by mowing. I wouldn't want to subject the Raven's generator to that either.

I still think a small utility vehicle like the Gator CX will do everything the Raven will do (minus mowing) and do it better. Throw a small genny in the back, hook on a trailer and get to work. Mow with a dedicated mower. It's more $$ of course but I'm betting the whole system would last 2x or longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.