What do you think worth $500? Pictures fired up in action

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Pictures were requested of this beauty in opperation well here are some
Also my experiment with Photo bucket All tweaked and running.
proof the Encore can be run with the optional 6" flue collar

this when the stove first arrived

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/elkimmeg/IM006439.jpg

Pictures with the second fire

Top where I replaced the griddle and installed the 6” flue collar adapter

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/elkimmeg/IM006495.jpg

Note The new handles I made up

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/elkimmeg/IM006494.jpg

The Encore with both doors open with the fire screen option one can enjoy the open flame this way

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/elkimmeg/IM006496.jpg

Man that stove looks good. The cops will be out there soon to get you for stealing that sucker.

I am jealous.

A real beauty Elk, you must be proud. It looks great in its new home.

Now. About that garage door...

BB I just engaged the cat damper. This is odd. VC has the same BTU output for the Resolute Acclaim
as the non Cat Encore 40,000 BTU's. However the cat Encore is 47,000 BTUS and listed for longer burn time
To me that's about 18% more capacity. Which my open concept home, can utilize, especially once the temps go below 10.
My previous stove looked as good but I need that 18%. Originally I was talked out of the cat stove options too hard to draft too hard to run and costly Cat replacements. For $100 more at the time I could have had an Encore. After you see my photos and see my flue connector location, I was very limited to matching up many stoves. All top flue collar stoves would not work. All said and done I broke even with the swap. Mike Thomas got a great deal and I passed it along. I know I could have gotten more $$$. but I helped someone else out without being greedy. He made a good deal as he sold his old resolute for $500 This forum exist because all try to help others out.

BrotherBart said:
Now. About that garage door...
Damn Brotherbart ............. I had to go back and edit my post because you beat me to it. Yeppers Elk , very nice looking stove . Did you have a "professional" install it ? J.K.

BB the garage door. My original garage doors were wood like textured masonite. My son shot a few hockey puck threw the pannels they looked so ugly. I got tired of replacing the pannels. 1/4" fir exterior grage plywood can be special ordered in 10 lengths. At the time about $36 each 4 sheets later my garage doors looked new My wife was trying to decide on what collor to paint them so I applied clear wood perseritive on them and too many other projects, this is how they look even after 5 years cost to replace them was $850 ea or more, my cost about $150

Some may notice the drive way dug up that's another story. 2 years back my and oldest daughter figured it was time to convert the storage space over the garage into an inlaw type appartment. I had to dig up the driveway to connect into my septic system for the bath room ect. The apt has a full bath with stackable washer and dryer full apt size kitchen with stove and dish washer one ok size bedroom and a decent living room about what one can fit into a 24/24 space I lost garage space due to the burner and oil tank and also the new well tank My wife can get here car in there in winter. My side is loaded with tools. Inorder to prevent the garage from freezing, it too is heated. I worked about every possible hour after work for 3 months to complete the job doing just about everything. Yes all permitted and legal the red box out beside the garage door is the only way I could get a 4" sewer waste drain to the second level and not be in the way of the garage doors. I can tell you a lot of planning went into lining up the plumbing fixtures.

I think the plumber that helped me is still swearing that it could not be done

elkimmeg said:
BB the garage door. My original garage doors were wood like textured masonite. My son shot a few hockey puck threw the pannels they looked so ugly. I got tired of replacing the pannels. 1/4" fir exterior grage plywood can be special ordered in 10 lengths. At the time about $36 each 4 sheets later my garage doors looked new My wife was trying to decide on what collor to paint them so I applied clear wood perseritive on them and too many other projects, this is how they look even after 5 years cost to replace them was $850 ea or more, my cost about $150

I hear ya Elk. A few years ago my wife went out to the garage, jumped in my Blazer and backed out. Well, she backed up until the trailer hitch went through that garage door that she forgot to open. Rather than spend the bucks for a new door I cut out the panel and put in that exhaust vent grill with flex pipe that I always wanted for working on the vehicles in the winter.

Silk purse out of a sow's ear as it were.

hey elk question.

are your homemade handles made from a tube from knob and tube wiring?

Arrrh Dylan welcome back you are welcome any time you old Villigant quits
Speaking of which I might have something for you What about a 1988 rebuilt Defiant Encore?. It has a cracked b heat plates but I have the replacements will need a cat stove combustor ( less than $150 Stove Combustor) And I will have to determine whether I re do the castings joints. My part, I get the stove in return for installing a new one. It has the same oval to 8" round vent setup as you current Villigant. making a replacement install a breeze

The handles I center drilled 5/8" dowells and 1/4 " machine screws but I going to look into the Knob and tubing wiring ceramics.

For some reason the griddle loop where the handle connects was broke off. I was also missing the commector cast iron wedges that hold the rear heat pllate in place.

Most of preping the stove consisted in filling in or reseaming refactory joints. I used a blow gun to clean out the accumulated ash. When it creates an ash dust cloud the ash and dust will leak everywhere exposing air leaks. This is a 1999 stove only used two seasons. The cat combustor is in tact and ok. I may replace it anyways for the off market one. One, to know I am starting new.
2 the off market ones have a wider heat range. Instead of the stove temp having to exceed 500 to light off, the off OEM combustors light off at 380 drgrees. Which means they function longer down to 380 where the OEM ones quit at 500. IE longer more fruitfull
secondary combustion. This equates to more useable heat vollume, for a longer period of time.

Really ITS not just the cat combustor, that regulates a longer productive even heat range, the thermoattically controled secondary air regulation does this. Real easy to manitain 550 degrees over a long period of time and let the secondary air adjust its amount to add or reduce air as needed to hold the settings. The sensor is in the secondary combustion chamber along with the cat combustor.

From the picture you see my limitations as to what stove I could use due to connector location. Like Spike the VC thing is like love the one you are with. When that connection was made 28 years or so ago I had an EFEL stove right here and determined the location for that stove. Had I planned 25 years ahead I could have moved it up innitially say 18" and been able to install almost any stove rear or top flue collar exit. The VC Defiant sits too high, and we all know it is not good to draft down hill

elkimmeg said:
BB I just engaged the cat damper. This is odd. VC has the same BTU output for the Resolute Acclaim
as the non Cat Encore 40,000 BTU's. However the cat Encore is 47,000 BTUS and listed for longer burn time
To me that's about 18% more capacity. Which my open concept home, can utilize, especially once the temps go below 10.
My previous stove looked as good but I need that 18%. Originally I was talked out of the cat stove options too hard to draft too hard to run and costly Cat replacements. For $100 more at the time I could have had an Encore. After you see my photos and see my flue connector location, I was very limited to matching up many stoves. All top flue collar stoves would not work. All said and done I broke even with the swap. Mike Thomas got a great deal and I passed it along. I know I could have gotten more $$$. but I helped someone else out without being greedy. He made a good deal as he sold his old resolute for $500 This forum exist because all try to help others out.

Thanks again Elk. The stove is great I have burned it the past 2 nights. Last night I loaded it up and to temp at 10:00 and at 6:00AM it was still at 350 with half the wood the old stove used. I love the dancing fire from the seconday burn. the old stove never did that. Your new stove looks awesome and I hope that it can provide you the extra heat. I wish I could have seen your set-up in the house when I was down but I understand the wifes concerns.

Looks great Elk, Well worth the 500$

Status
Not open for further replies.