what do you think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most of you know me we sponsor the forum and sell log splitters and fire starters. What I am thinking about doing is having a live 24/7 video on our log splitter this summer. We split 100s of cords and sell packaged firewood to stores and campgrounds in the area. We split all the time and was thinking of putting a wireless camera on the splitter and putting it into or wifi network and run it 24/7. This would allow people to see the splitters working live. I think this is a new idea people may like and who knows it may help sell some splitters. Any thoughts?

Well, I like the idea, but my first thought was "you split 24/7?" That must be quite the operation you have there. So you're running 3 shifts splitting wood?

Im surprised at a 100 cords+ you dont have a firewood processor.

fatwoodfirestarters said:
I think most of you know me we sponsor the forum and sell log splitters and fire starters. What I am thinking about doing is having a live 24/7 video on our log splitter this summer. We split 100s of cords and sell packaged firewood to stores and campgrounds in the area. We split all the time and was thinking of putting a wireless camera on the splitter and putting it into or wifi network and run it 24/7. This would allow people to see the splitters working live. I think this is a new idea people may like and who knows it may help sell some splitters. Any thoughts?

As thrilling as watching a live feed of someone on a web cam splitting wood will invariably be, I think there's no way I could possibly care less.

Geez redd, Your a real hard @$$... Why don't you go split some wood? :mad: I guess it might get several hits initialy but the cool factor would go away....

Good idea on a video but I see no need to go to quite that extreme.

How about posting several videos with your splitters in action?

1. Announcing what type of wood it is and then show splitting some of various sizes and also include splitting some with knots.

2. For sure split lots of sizes of wood; maybe from 6" up to 36" in various types of wood.

3. Show splitting with the 4-way wedge along with the 2-way wedge.

4. Split in both vertical and horizontal modes. But I hesitate here because for "safety sake" you may do some unnecessary things and also may show poor technique. I see this many times and also read on this forum about how guys hurt because of so much bending if splitting vertically. I don't understand because the only bending I do is to sit down. I believe in making it simple and easy.

5. If you make videos too long, they won't be watched and that is why you should keep them short. KISS.

6. Show towing the splitter out to where you will be splitting and the complete setting up of the splitter.

7. Perhaps touch on differences in engines. Most seem to have either B&S or Hondas but we've also seen Tecumseh engines as well.

8. Come up with some ideas to compare, say, a 35 ton splitter vs. the 20 ton splitter. Perhaps even comparing the electric splitter against the better hydraulic splitters.

Personally, I own a 20 ton splitter with a 5 hp B&S engine and it will split everything I need split. Cycle time might be slower but cycle time is highly over rated. For example, I rarely will run the splitter where it goes the entire cycle, so that makes it a non-issue but for some odd reason sales people like to make a big issue of it. We are not commercial operators either so if one is 4 seconds faster, it is actually meaningless, especially when we don't use the entire cycle.

Good luck on your project.

btw, I may sometime in the future be in the market for another splitter and I must say that I am not too happy seeing some videos on the present splitters on the market.

Videos "directed by" Dennis Backwoods Savage.
That would up the viewers. :lol:
Be a good source for "ID this wood"
"A" picture would be nice, on here, for a start :)

I'd be happy to demo a splitter for the summer and let you know via video weekly how it's going! Those videos would of course be for your use!

pen

Didn't i respond to this same thread elsewhere? deja vu.

Streaming video 24/7 requires a lot of "horsepower" in the server/bandwidth department. Have you thought this part through? As stated a few utube vids of live action splittin would prolly be fine.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.