What do you use for heat protection on yer paws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the el cheapo cotton mitt that came with my Morso. It is not anything special and only covers my wrist, but its more than adequate for me to grab the hot handle, stir the coals, toss in some splits and even move them around in the firebox. I don't even need to use it every time, only when I've got a ragind bed of coals.

i use welder's gauntlets (leather and lined). nice protection up to the mid-forearm. not expensive. last for a long time.

I use old fire dept gloves. they are probably similar to welder's gloves.

I use welding gloves and a long sleeve shirt when I'm smart enough. Sometimes I experience brain fade and go in with short sleeves... gets warm quickly.

I'll throw out another vote for welding gloves. You do have to keep an eye on them though. I found a hole in one of the fingers the hard way a few weeks ago when I picked up a chunk of red hot coal that rolled out.

I keep my trusty welding gloves in the empty ash bucket beside the stove. My most recent advneture with them was retrieveing a couple of golf ball sized chunks of red coal that fell out of the loading door. If not for those gloves I would have had to pick them up chop-stick style with kindling and since I am a fork and spoon kind of guy I would have likely just made things worse.

my vote goes to the welding gloves as well.i also use a poker to help move the wood inside the stove.

Welding gloves is what I use as well.

I first tried an elbow-length terrycloth oven glove, but that was a little too flammable. Then I got one of those nomex/kevlar "Ove Gloves" you see on tv sometimes. That doesn't go up the arm much, so my wife sewed on the forearm part of the cloth glove. That's been working, although the outer stitching is coming undone and the inner lining does burn.

Welding gloves. I'd also point out that it is possible to burn your head on the door if it's not opened far enough. That was last year (not bad but eye opener).

I have 2 pairs of gloves by my stove. Mid -forearm fireplace gloves for when I have to reach inside to place a large split, regular leather gloves for grabbing the door handle (these are wearing out, they came with the house and hence the stove, and will soon be "retired") and a poker.

If you guys have an ABCO welding store near you, look at their own welding gloves. 6.00 per pair, cheap and they work.
Wife likes them and uses them as well, more of a testament with her.
Chad

Welding glove on left hand, all else is optional... :coolgrin:

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.