What do you use the old pellet pallets for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

This came up in another thread after I mentioned that a neighbor used some old pallets to construct a mini shelter for his generator.

I have used them in the past to make a compost bin.....what do you do with yours, or what creative things COULD we use them for?

MM you wouldn't be able to maybe take a picture
of your neighbors creation for me would you?

zeta said:
MM you wouldn't be able to maybe take a picture
of your neighbors creation for me would you?

No, they're not around, and it's in his garage last time I saw it. Basically, he just nailed the ends of them together to form an upside down "U". and then nailed an even larger piece of old 1/4" or 3/8" plywood on top that extends out past the sides a little....pretty simple.

Hmm that's cool. If I make one it would have to be
a little bit more weather proof than that since it
would have to live outside, but thanks for the description.

Smudge88 said:
I'm building an ark to send Ileagals back in...
That's so old Administration. The correct term per the current administration is undocumented worker. Illegal is just so harsh - makes it seem like someone broke the law or something. Undocumented is much more friendly as it implies they've simply lost their paperwork. Let's try to be kinder & gentler. :)

I use them for solid footing over the mucky boggy area near the horse manure pile; like a bridge (to nowhere). I also use them for stacking hay & shavings in the grain room. If my horse doesn't stop chewing the ladder to the hay loft, I'll use the lumber for rung replacements. In fact, maybe I should nail one to the stall wall so he can chew THAT instead of the cedar ladder! We also have one standing on end against a hole in the fence in one of the paddocks (New England Red-Neck Style fencing!!!!).
I'm planning on building a walkway from the bottom of our deck stairs to underneath the deck, an approximate 20' run with one corner. I have to span a drainage run (that same length) that I dug last summer. I will most likely use the frames from the pallets and re-surface the tops with TREX or some such composite decking.

My dealer buys 'em back...

Usually, I break up the pallets with a sledgehammer and feed them into my wood stove.

But, I found a great use for eight pallets.

I live next(adjacent) to a shopping center and the customers from the shopping center can & do drive onto my land. During the day this is not a problem but on friday & sat nites, there is a club paridise after hours club. Customers start comming at 11:30 pm to 12:30 midnite & after they fill up the shopping center parking ,they overflow about 25 cars onto my land. It was especially bothersome to listen to these drunks comming back to their cars at 3 am,
but the pallets solved my tresspassing problems for me,qiute nicely, I might add,

I nailed two pallets together at the top to make an A and framed the sides with 3/8 plywood
to make 4 ----A----A----A-----A----- that i place across the end of the drive way & now they don't even try to park on my land any more.

They realize that the road would not be blocked off if it was not private property.

At first ,they tried to knock down and break the pallets, but I used the heavy duty 4inch x 4inch
pallets which proved too strong for them to break with petty vandalism , so they gave up on that idea, probably after hurting their foot trying to break the wood by jumping on it.

Anyway, no one gets on my property now without moving a 90 pound wooden road block.

I put them out friday nite and remove them sunday morning.

Pellet pallets? Poplar pallets or pine pallets?
Plenty of places pile pallets precariously, providing places for preteens to play pirates.
I pry planks from pallets and proudly put paint on. It's plenty pretty.
Puppies prefer to play on pallet pyramids.
Pink Pigs eat peaches from pallets, producing pork protein.
Precision production of pallets presents particular problems, primarily processing the pitch.
Presents on pallets are particularly pleasing.

...somebody, please stop me...

wilbilt said:
Pellet pallets? Poplar pallets or pine pallets?
Plenty of places pile pallets precariously, providing places for preteens to play pirates.
I pry planks from pallets and proudly put paint on. It's plenty pretty.
Puppies prefer to play on pallet pyramids.
Pink Pigs eat peaches from pallets, producing pork protein.
Precision production of pallets presents particular problems, primarily processing the pitch.
Presents on pallets are particularly pleasing.

...somebody, please stop me...

Our poetic pellet pal is a little punchy this morning!
How cute, Wilbilt!

I'm not particularly handy. So, first I put them on the sidewalk with a "Free" sign, but no takers. Then I loaded them in the van to take them to the municipal transfer station for recycling. They wouldn't take them unless I bought a commercial permit, saying they were construction material. Given what I've seen here, I guess I can see their point. But one of the workers there said the business next door will take them for their wood stove. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.