What do you use to carry your chainsaw tools in the woods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Milk crate holds everything but the saw: One gallon gas can, jug of chain oil, sharpening kit. wedges, gloves, goggles, and ear protection muffs. The milk crate will either be put in the back of my F150, a little trailer I pull behind the garden tractor, or in a basket that hangs on the front of my 8N tractor. Just depends on where I'm working.

Re: measuring. I would never take the time to measure out a log and mark it with a marker or fancy paint gadget. Can't see the point in spending money for such things. I but to 20 inches and have a mark on the sprocket guard of my say. Tip to mark is 20 inches. I can just quickly lay the saw down on the log, eyeball where I need to cut, then zap it and move on to the next one. Quick, easy and no $$$ involved.

Reactions: webby3650
Just a plastic bucket. I can get 3 cans of fuel and enough bar oil then all the tools I need and some rags.

Lots of great ideas here. I travel light - almost everything I need in the woods fits in my echo case. Plastic wedges for felling or freeing the saw, hatchet for driving them, extra chain, and couple pairs of tongs.

If I'm tackling something big, ill toss my 36" breaker bar and my Fiskars in the wood trailer. I don't take the gas and bar oil; but if I was further from home I might. I find that one tank of gas can give me more than enough to fill the trailer.

I remember as a kid my grandfather had an old open wood toolbox he wood carry with him to hold his tools for the chainsaw. Now that I myself am harvesting wood for my stove, I found myself needing something to carry some of my stuff in. I asked my father whatever became of that tool box and he has no idea which is a shame since it had some real character. Was thinking about building something similar to what I remember but I was just curious about some of the caddies you guys use?
Great thread. I use a short wide 3 gallon galvanized pail to hold a gallon of gas, a quart of bar oil, a couple of wedges, an extra chain, scrench and file. saw in one hand and pail in the other when walking.

I've never gone into the woods to cut a tree, without needing a tractor to pull it out. So, my three saws and a toolbox containing my spare chains and tools just go in the front end loader bucket, along with fluids, cant hook, chains, choker, etc.

If you're hoofing it into the woods with saw and tools in hand, how do you intend to get the tree out of the woods?

5 gallon bucket

What do you use to carry your chainsaw tools in the woods?

My hands.

I've never gone into the woods to cut a tree, without needing a tractor to pull it out. So, my three saws and a toolbox containing my spare chains and tools just go in the front end loader bucket, along with fluids, cant hook, chains, choker, etc.

If you're hoofing it into the woods with saw and tools in hand, how do you intend to get the tree out of the woods?

I've cut and stacked smaller rounds in the woods to get with the tractor later. Sometimes the chainsaw and tools go for brush clearing jobs too. You're right though, truck and trailer or tractor or utv/atv make the job convenient.

My tractor is broke down and I'm sure many on here don't have a tractor. I often walk to the woods when its muddy to cut wood. dont want to tare the trails up and I only have a 2 wheel drive. I cut and stack the wood and haul it out later when the ground is dry. I make due with what I have.

Come back later with something else when conditions improve?

I bring most of mine out with an ATV & trailer - but won't when it's muddy & greasy, although I can usually get in & out to process it.

Plus some don't go INTO the woods. They just go TO the woods. With their car or truck.

Ah... hadn't thought about that. When conditions are crappy, I usually just stay home and split wood, or find some other work to do. There's no shortage of that.

My tractor has 4wd, but the two at the location where I do most of my felling are only 2wd. A Ford 3000 with calcium filled ag tires can pull a pretty good load on the drawbar, though.

I usually cut the tree up into small enough pieces so that I can carry them out one by one and then put the wood in the back of the truck.

I usually cut the tree up into small enough pieces so that I can carry them out one by one and then put the wood in the back of the truck.
That uses more testosterone than I have to spare for any one day. I need all I can save for pull-starting that old 064 without comp relief. :p

I carry my saw, 2 spare chains, and wrench in the orange case.
The rest is put into the front bucket of my tractor or the back of hte truck bed.

But after reading these I am thinking I may want to carry a milk crate with the oil, gas, rags, wedges
it might be a lot easier to move the stuff around that way.

That uses more testosterone than I have to spare for any one day. I need all I can save for pull-starting that old 064 without comp relief. :p

Well I know what you mean. I have a Husqvarna 2100CD with no decomp. I have to put my foot in the handle on that one to get it going.

Well thanks to this thread I've added some to the list. All my wood is scrounged and that means driving to a house and dragging the rounds out to the trailer with a wagon or hand truck.
Getting all the gear into my van is about as far as I will carry every piece at once.
I have the power box for my saw, it has wedges, files, scrench, spare chain. Then I have a milk crate with bar oil, mix oil, and gas.
Last of all a 24" craftsman tool bag for gloves, helmet, chaps, face sheilds, ear protection(for the kids) and a rope.
The peavey is the only thing not in a box or bag

Well thanks to this thread I've added some to the list. All my wood is scrounged and that means driving to a house and dragging the rounds out to the trailer with a wagon or hand truck.
Getting all the gear into my van is about as far as I will carry every piece at once.
I have the power box for my saw, it has wedges, files, scrench, spare chain. Then I have a milk crate with bar oil, mix oil, and gas.
Last of all a 24" craftsman tool bag for gloves, helmet, chaps, face sheilds, ear protection(for the kids) and a rope.
The peavey is the only thing not in a box or bag
I think when you buy a saw they should just throw in a free milk crate.

Reactions: AmbDrvr253
I got an old ammo box I keep my files,xtra plugs,screwdrivers,sockets and a ratchet in.No moisture can get in it and if you knock it around the lid won't come open and loose your tools.

X2, I made a shallow wooden "tool" tray to fit in the top of mine; leaves 5" in the base of the box for mix oil, and cut-off plastic 1 quart oil cans that hold wedges, chains, chalk, bug dope, etc.

Last edited:
I don't have a tractor, a team of horses or anything else to use as a skidder. When I fell I am almost always in state forests where skidding is illegal for personal use guys like me anyway. I do have a saw box, I mostly carry it between the garage and my truck. Long enough for a spare bar to lay in it without getting bent, narrow enough to not bang my legs when i carry it.

I did use a five gallon bucket, once. When I got home that night I built this box out of scrap 1/2" plywood, scrap 2x2, 1 5/8 DWS and left over spray paint. The handle is a tapered piece of oak dowel (vise, beltsander) tapered to fit whatever hole saw I had handy. I had the box mostly assembled, painted it while the gunstock oil was drying on the oak dowel, then assembled it after the finishes were dry. I halfway expected it to come apart in a week and I didn't want to wreck the handle. it's a few years old now, when it does break apart I'll re-use the handle on my next box of similar size. Mine is nominal 8" wide, 12" deep and 24" long. Its got all my crap in there..
. fullbox.JPG

ppeout.JPG

Thanks... A tape measure and a red lumber crayon, because I can't eyeball 16"...
I just use my 20" guidebar as my measuring tape. Make a pen make on it for 18 or 16" till you get used to eyeballing it. Less tools to carry/loose.

Reactions: ErikR and Wisneaky
I remember as a kid my grandfather had an old open wood toolbox he wood carry with him to hold his tools for the chainsaw. Now that I myself am harvesting wood for my stove, I found myself needing something to carry some of my stuff in. I asked my father whatever became of that tool box and he has no idea which is a shame since it had some real character. Was thinking about building something similar to what I remember but I was just curious about some of the caddies you guys use?

5 gallon bucket - tools and oil, gas can and saw, strapped in the back of the truck.

bob

ps, my own land, never far from home.:)

I don't have a tractor, a team of horses or anything else to use as a skidder. When I fell I am almost always in state forests where skidding is illegal for personal use guys like me anyway. I do have a saw box, I mostly carry it between the garage and my truck. Long enough for a spare bar to lay in it without getting bent, narrow enough to not bang my legs when i carry it.

I did use a five gallon bucket, once. When I got home that night I built this box out of scrap 1/2" plywood, scrap 2x2, 1 5/8 DWS and left over spray paint. The handle is a tapered piece of oak dowel (vise, beltsander) tapered to fit whatever hole saw I had handy. I had the box mostly assembled, painted it while the gunstock oil was drying on the oak dowel, then assembled it after the finishes were dry. I halfway expected it to come apart in a week and I didn't want to wreck the handle. it's a few years old now, when it does break apart I'll re-use the handle on my next box of similar size. Mine is nominal 8" wide, 12" deep and 24" long. Its got all my crap in there..
.View attachment 163205

View attachment 163206

I like the fact that you made it thin enouph so you can carry it without hitting your leg.

I got an old ammo box I keep my files,xtra plugs,screwdrivers,sockets and a ratchet in.No moisture can get in it and if you knock it around the lid won't come open and loose your tools.

Ha ha. They could make a handy receptacle, I can see that. But was a time I spent a bunch of time lugging around old ammo boxes loaded down with rocks and sand. I'm not sure I want to revisit.

Status
Not open for further replies.