what do you use to get the scrounge out of the woods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flavo

Feb 12, 2011
chaplin ct
I've collected dead fall a couple of times now on the side of the road. Carrying arm full after arm full to the truck can get tedious and I was wondering what you have done to make it easier. I was thinking of a modified dolly. Take a dolly and extend the bottom forks to better support a fuller load. The worst part I think would be the narrow wheel base. So I think i wider axle would really help out w/ the rough terrain. Do you folks have better ideas or maybe even pictures?
Thanks, Mike.

can't help ya. I've been using a wheel barrow. When I can I drag the log with the truck and then back up close to it so that when I buck it can go straight in. the wheel barrow is better than arm loads, but surely isn't the best way.

I use a wheel barrow ane a hand truck for really big stuff

My twelve year old son and a wheel barrel. And most importantly, a package of Double Stuff Oreo cookies! :cheese:

I am fortunate that I have plenty on my property and get most of it with the ATV. On the road I have used a dolly and wheel barrow. I like the dolly for tight spaces and I can drag right up on my trailer. Dragging the logs closer with a truck sure helps and you might consider a winch, drag it right to where you are. You can pick up some winches for as little as $50 for a 3,000 lb torgue at Harbor Freight. You can get alot better ones but it is a thought.

I'd get them one of them kids but here they are mighty expensive. The wheel barrel seems like a pain to me to load in and out of the truck. The winch sounds like a great idea. That is the 1st thing I thought of when one of the posters mentioned pulling it out w/ a rope. If I could get one mounted on the rear w/ some kind of remote so i could use it outside.
Someday I guess.

Back up truck as close as I can get.Always have at least 3 log chains,100ft 3/4" nylon rope,a come-a-long with extra cable with me.Sometimes I pull the logs out,sometimes they get bucked up closer,its whatever's easiest at the time.Will get a winch someday when finances permit.

A good wheel barrow. The Chevy Silverado is not afraid to get dirty.

Various lengths of wire rope, shackles, snatch blocks, chain, hooked to truck.

Flavo said:
I've collected dead fall a couple of times now on the side of the road. Carrying arm full after arm full to the truck can get tedious and I was wondering what you have done to make it easier. I was thinking of a modified dolly. Take a dolly and extend the bottom forks to better support a fuller load. The worst part I think would be the narrow wheel base. So I think i wider axle would really help out w/ the rough terrain. Do you folks have better ideas or maybe even pictures?
Thanks, Mike.

you asked for pics so... I find this old girl comes in handy for pulling or lifting logs. :)

Attachments

• 2755web.jpg
    2755web.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 315
Flavo said:
2 whiskey smashes in and I'm ready to call you a jerk for you that one. :)
+1 run what you brung! You sissy who need a tractor well I cant do that one so I throw a saw at it. Walk it out of there.

I've considered this monster hand truck from TSC but I cannot figure the sense in a "P" handle for something that needs two handed work.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/...es/milwaukee-the-boss-hoss-hand-truck-3893949

If it would have had the two handles I would have bought it.

But, I got this instead:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/...y-duty-utility-cart-1-200-lb-capacity-3599016

I had a beautiful wooden deck my Dad made for an older wagon of similar size so I just stuck the green cage up in the garage rafters.

Perfect size for zipping around in the woods. Fits perfectly in my 10' X 6' dump trailer.

Attachments

• SL733880.jpg
    SL733880.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 182
  • SL733895.jpg
    SL733895.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 189
I use a builders wheelbarrow, the pneumatic tires help it over the few ruts and things out in the woods behind our house.

My bowsaw fits in nicely too.........

I use the ropes and cables approach for stuff more than 50' from the road. I've also got some heavy-duty pulleys that are made for cabling and have a duty rating of over 5000k. I can hook them up around a trunk and pull in odd directions with the truck to get a log going in the right direction. They also help a lot for getting a tree going in the perfect direction.

smoken, you forget that my burning season is very long, and the gathering season here is short (mostly because I am not a fan of cold). Plus I need to gather many sticks as we mostly only get poplar. Now if you would just ship me up (at your cost) a train load of hardwoods, I will promise to only use my quads, trucks and trailers. When's my train coming in??

Status
Not open for further replies.