what do you use to separate the ash from the coals?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen shovels with holes and I have seen a ash rake that has a uneven edge to go over the coals. I have looked for a real rake like a small yard rake. What do you use?

I bought 2 shovels off ebay and drilled holes in one of them to separate the coals from the ashes. I too have been looking for a rake to use, but they seem hard to find?

Shipper

I use a metal strainer, 4" wide with 1/4" grid, found in the kitchen utensils at walmart. It works great but a 6" one with a larger grid, maybe 1/2", would be ideal. Haven't seen one of those anywhere...

I made one from 1/4 inch stainelss rod. loop handle. a scooper part with rods about 1/2 gap spaced apart I will try and post a pic next week.
shakes and raises the coals to the top. works great.

kcj

No offense to anyone but the shovels with holes are worthless imo. In the morning from the front of the firebox we just shovel out the ash and the few hot coals there and put them into a covered bucket then rake the rest forward and level 'em out. 30 seconds...DONE!

I just have Hal open the pod bay door.

-------------------------

I just push the big ones (there are rarely any) to the side , take the majority of the ash out and get out of there.
Put the galvanized pail out on the porch and with a litttle luck, with a windy night it's empty in the morning.

I don't spend any time poring over the kitty litter, either.

precaud said:
I use a metal strainer, 4" wide with 1/4" grid, found in the kitchen utensils at walmart. It works great but a 6" one with a larger grid, maybe 1/2", would be ideal. Haven't seen one of those anywhere...

What you described would also be used to cook fish. You can find them at William's Sonoma or any kitchen specialty store, including commercial kitchen stores, probably even larger. After reading this thread I think we'll get one too!

zionadams said:
precaud said:

After reading this thread I think we'll get one too!

After reading this thread I think we'll keep doing without.

I fab'd this up, works ok to move the coals around

Attachments

• P1010013 (2).JPG
    P1010013 (2).JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 668
  • P1010011 (2).JPG
    P1010011 (2).JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 684
$1.99 at your local hardware store... a paint strainer for a roller paint brush. Get the metal one and use it like a shovel it sifts through all the ashes and allows you to put the coals aside. Works great!

I just use a good old fireplace shovel. I gently rake the coals to one side, shovel out ash, then to the other side, shovel again. I'd think a pointy rake would take a toll on firebrick over time.

Elderthewelder said:
I fab'd this up, works ok to move the coals around
Looks like you got something there!

Nothing. I shove live coals to the side, shovel out what I can, then pull the coals up front. No need to get every ounce of ash out. On the contrary- many stoves do well to have a little reflective layer of ash on the bottom. Plus- it's a case of diminishing returns, as the last half to cup of ash takes half the time- screw it.

When any live or dead coals are extinguished- I compost or spread the coals with the ash. Charcoal is great for gardens/lawns- look up "terra preta" on google/wiki.

Here is a picture of the scooper/strainer I mentioned above. Ideally, I'd like to find something exactly like this only a couple inches wider.

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 449
pics of the rake I described earlier.
This is for a small indoor wood stove, not for an OWB.

Attachments

• Rake OA 1.jpg
    Rake OA 1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 374
  • Rake closeup 1.jpg
    Rake closeup 1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 351
With the Encore, I just stir the ashes around with a shovel, the fine stuff drops through the grate into the ashpan and the coals stay in the fire box to burn some more...

With the old smoke dragon, I found a small scale steel rake from a set of those "garden tools" that are sold for cheap money at places like Christmas Tree Shop that are sort of kid / small woman size versions of real steel rakes, hoes, etc. made from light guage sheet metal... Might be enough for a tiny garden patch, but not much more... I took the wooden handle off, and jammed a chunk of scrap pipe into the socket - found it worked great in that stove. It was a side loader, that would burn the area under the door to pretty small coals and ash, leaving larger coals towards the other end. I'd rake back and forth a bit to move the coals to the far end, scoop a bit of ash out the end near the door, then pull the coals and remaining ash under the door...

Gooserider

Although the little strainer shown in my earlier post works well, it's just too small. I finally found something that is MUCH closer to the ideal ash strainer. It is a modified Charmglow #662-039 Grill/Flip Basket, made for grilling seafood and veggies on the barbeque. I found it at Home Depot in the closeout aisle on end-of-season clearance for 7 bucks. It is steel with a 1/2" mesh and a nice wooden handle, with a 7"W x 10"L basket.

The mods are simple: Remove the basket flip lid, cut away the front of the basket (I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel,) grind the rough edges off, and voila. It works great, MUCH quicker than the previous one I used. I'll probably cut the length down to 7" at some point to make it a little easier to maneuver in the stove. But it's great as it is.

Attachments

• strain1.jpg
    strain1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 280
  • strain2.jpg
    strain2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 251
Status
Not open for further replies.