What do you use to start your fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A little newspaper and some hardwood scrap that I get from a friend of mine. Cheapo lighter (10 for $1.00 at the flea market). Done.

I use Duraflame with some fatwood surrounding it if I am impatient. Mostly though I use fatwood with small peices of wood. I open the glass door for about 15 minutes and Viola!, my Rutland Burn Indicator heats up to around 450, ready for a big piece of wood.....

reaperman said:
Come on guys, admit it, we have all used kerosene a time or two when things were not lighting up as expected. Ok, I'm ducking now!!

Nope, never even been tempted to try it.

I keep a ready supply of cabinetry scraps always handy. Never have a problem getting her fired off. But when I'm not home I leave a box of SuperCedars there for my honey.

Speaking of starting fires:

My Mom once tried to minimize "pine needle mess" by burning the Christmas tree (sometime around Valentine's Day) in the big old fireplace we then had.

I guess she thought she could "feed it in" as it burned. Wrong!

chrisN said:
I haven't restarted my fire since early January, been going 24/7 since then. But when I do make a fire I use old fashion kindling and newspaper and the top-down method of stacking, lit with a regular old paper match.

Ditto to a T, you saved me some typing. Thank you.

We save the little bits that fly off when splitting wood, along with the really small sticks from trees that turn into firewood, those are the tiniest kindling. We store them in the wooden crates that corn and green beans, etc., come in, keeping one near us when trimming or splitting wood. We have lots of filled crates sitting outside under tarps with the firewood. Then things that split a little too small, plus the slightly larger branches, are the larger kindling. Throw in some rolled up newspaper and a match and viola. I also often put some of the sweepings of wood crud into the newspaper. I am a bit of a pyro, so I like to make fires, wouldn't want something to make it faster and easier. I would certainly never use kerosene.

Just read on woodheat.org tonight about how to solve the problem of the rolled up newspaper unrolling itself. Tie a knot in it. That is called a Nantucket knot, don't know why. Along with newspaper, we also use statements from credit card companies and the bank which have our account numbers on them.

If yur wood is real dry, you don't need much. Not even kindling. Just a simple match and some paper. But key is 'dry' wood.

In honor of a wood stacker/burner/forum stickler, Dylan, try lightining your next fire with 'cardboard'.

Aye,
Marty

I pick up sticks around the yard and break them into little pieces. I save them in plastic trash barrels for the winter. The benefit here is I have a useful way to dispose of my sticks and start my fire. Some sticks and crumpled newspaper never fail to start the stove. I set up a little channel with the kindling and the logs. It takes off like a jet engine every time.

A friend of mine is a full time wood burner. He sometimes picks up tar laden pine cones. You can light one of these and it will burn like a torch for a few minutes.

MikeinCT said:
I pick up sticks around the yard and break them into little pieces. I save them in plastic trash barrels for the winter. The benefit here is I have a useful way to dispose of my sticks and start my fire. Some sticks and crumpled newspaper never fail to start the stove. I set up a little channel with the kindling and the logs. It takes off like a jet engine every time.

A friend of mine is a full time wood burner. He sometimes picks up tar laden pine cones. You can light one of these and it will burn like a torch for a few minutes.

MikeinCT:

I like dat. I like dat alot.

Mine kinna goes like dat 2. Mus B I'm makin' dat same channel ting.

An now, I'm on the lookout for sum pine cones...

Aye,
Marty

after a fire shut-down to empty the ash... I also use the propane torch.

lights the big logs right up, lickety split.

I buy small dixie cups, and put about two tablespoons of vegetable oil in the cup, and add a crumpled up half of a paper towel. I light that with three logs around it.

Before you object...

I've been doing this for years, and have never had any flare up. The oil starts burning slowly, through the paper towel that acts as a wick.

The oil burns cleanly -- there's no buildup (don't compare it to splatters on your cooking stove, those come from splattered unburnt oil).

Chimney sweep inspecting flue confirmed that there was no residue or other problem from using this.

It only costs only about 2 cents per firestart (compare to 15 cents for Supercedars broken in four pieces).

I don't need kindling -- this works even with larger logs.

chrisN said:
I haven't restarted my fire since early January, been going 24/7 since then. But when I do make a fire I use old fashion kindling and newspaper and the top-down method of stacking, lit with a regular old paper match.
NOW WERE TALKING THATS THE WAY TO GO. :coolsmirk:

I've used the little fire starter bricks for several years. It's, like, set it and forget it.

Let me stand next to your FIRE ! (Jimi)

Super Cedar Firestarters, supercedes all other methods for starting your fire Everytime. We will be happy to send free samples to all new members.
Email us your shipping address to [email protected] and they are on the way.
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.