What do you use your trivet for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skooter

Nov 10, 2008
MI
Hi all,
We have a trivet on our Napolean 1400 and other than lifting it to put a thermometer under it, haven't really used it for much. Hubby dried his gloves on it but they got really hot and I was afraid they would catch fire. My folks bought me a cast iron kettle to fill and use for hot cocoa but the water turns orange and ewwwww. I tried to save my propane and use it to cook garlic toast on one night for supper but the edges burned and never cooked the inside. (no laughing please. :/ ) So I am here asking you all who are apparently more knowledgeable than I... What do you use your wood stove trivet for other than heat?

A curious Skoot...

They are designed to keep food/liquids warm more than for actual cooking. I keep my cast iron kettle on one becase I don't want to have to fill it 4+ times per day.

We have a similar cast iron kettle used to help with humidity, but not for drinking ! hahahaha

ok dumb question but doesn't the water have to steam to create humidity? Mine never gets hot enough to steam.

Steam will transfer water much faster but no, your tub dries after you are out right? It will evaporate, and the warmer the better. Try maybe burning hotter?

Not a dumb question, I wondered the same thing initially. Water evaporates at a lower temp than actual boiling which would cause steam. Just fill it up and the next day you will be suprised to find it needs more water. You'll probably also notice you won't be shocking each other as much either!

I have a steamer on the one side a put a scented candle on the other with the thermometer inbetween. Once it is melted the trivet is usually cruising at 400. My Napoleon 1100C has a full "decorative" trivet as they call it so plenty of room for stuff. I have my thermometer on top back center and use that to guide my stove top temperature. During the first few fires I took it off to put the thermometer on the actual stove top and noticed the burning/secondaries/emissions then put the trivet back on with the thermometer on top of that. Judging by the secondaries and chimney emissions once it's cruising there is about 50 degrees difference but when warming up it takes a while to warm up.

Sorry long answer to simple question.

Status
Not open for further replies.