What does everyone use to Clean the Burnpot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyDaug

Dec 26, 2010
Maine
Does everyone use a scraper,or wire brush? Just curious... I have been soaking it in warm water, per manufactures recommendations. It seems to dissolve a lot of the deposits, but it needs something more.

Old lineman pliers and old screwdriver.

I use a small wire brush and a scraper that is bent to the curve of the burn pot for the hard deposits. I mostly only get real light fluff type ash build up on the burn pot so the small wire brush is used the most.

Attachments

• Quadrafire 208 (Large).jpg
    Quadrafire 208 (Large).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 984
I use a 1/2" wood chisel and a toothbrush-sized wire brush along with my vacuum. I use a small long wire brush approximately 1/4" in diameter to clean all the small holes out.

Yep, go to Harbor Freight and get a cheap set of wood chisels. Best thing for me! Stick it straight down into the buildup and twist it. Breaks it right up. Of course, also good as a scraper.

Fine and pointy wire wheel on the end of an electric drill.

If you choose this method, be sure the wheel is soft enough not to damage the pot.

I then use a metal pipe cleaner and pull it through each hole.

Long handled screwdriver during burning season to keep the big stuff out. Small hammer and chisel at end of season to remove the tough stuff that has built up

Been using a painters tool ( scraper with a bunch of edges curves, etc), but with the build-up I've been getting in the pot lately a chisel would probably be good.

If the little holes start to clog up, a bronze wire wheel on a Dremel, otherwise a quick scrape with an old putty knife.

Hello

I found if the intake air is warm and dry the holes do not get clogged. Just brushing out the pot works fine.

PAINTERS TOO,SCREWDRIVER. COAT HANGER FOR THE HOLES.

In the off season I remove it and put in my bead blaster.

Long heavy duty screw driver with the end ground to a point. Painters scraper with 4 edged replaceable blade. Harmon scraper. Clothes hanger cut and bent into tool to clean out burn pot holes. Flex book light and inspection mirror to inspect.

I use a hook knife I fashioned out of a larger chef's knife. blade has a "U" at the end. works fast to clean the pot, only have about a twenty minute down time. I clean the air hole once a month or so with a twist drill bit 1/64th inch smaller than the hole, fitted in a t-handle, usually take about ten minutes. I am very careful to not let the crud build up, so I don't have to go after it with the strong stuff. At the end of the season, gets two days in the hot tank (when turned off), rinsed and inspected closely for cracks and flaws. Next to the electrolysis tank for a few minutes of plating to stop summer tarnish, and let it wait,

If you are knife challenged, try the Horse owners friend a "hoof" knife, or the painters 5 in 1 tool. If the chisel end is too wide, grind it down, but don't over heat the blade. The square blunt end works great in corners or at right angles. I usually give one to people I help with their stoves. Fuller seems to make the best for this use, a little beefier.

Screw driver, hammer, vacuum, and a wire brush for the impingement plate.

I second the chisels. I use a 5/8" for scraping the bottom of the burn pot, and a 1/4" for the burn pot sides.

For the burn pot liner I use a couple of wire brushes. I haven't had any build-up or clinkers for a couple of years.....I use quality pellets and keep the airways clean (took me a while that learn this).

The pot itself doesn't need any cleaning other than ash removal which I do with a vacuum.

I clean the liner and the pot on my stoves after every two bags of pellets. The stoves are cleaned throughout (including removal of both fans) after each ton.

After having pellet stoves for many years (and many types/brands) I've learned that keeping them clean will eliminate most if not all of common issues.

I use the tool that came with the stove.
It's in the pic to the right of the paintbrush.
stovetools.jpg

Chisel, screwdriver and a round wire brush attached to my drill.

I use a putty knife. I don't really have that much that gets stuck to the pot.

The few times I get any real deposit on the burn pot I have a wire brush for, but the brush is primarily for the heat exchanger tubes.

Xena said:
I use the tool that came with the stove.
It's in the pic to the right of the paintbrush.
stovetools.jpg

I use the same tools minus the gloves, The tool that comes with the st croix works very well. I was just wondering why a chisel is needed, i just tap off my burn pot and grate and all is clear never had to use anything else??

I use the flat edged scraper tool that came with my FPI (Enviro Empress), but have recently gone to using soapy water and a paper towel to clean it with Dawn. I have been getting some clinkers building up and the washing seems to help get the salts off the burn pot insert (I can remove it from the FPI and put it in the sink) stops/slows down the formation of the clinker material the next go around. I think that this makes a big difference if you have a removable burn pot insert.

I also used a Dremel tool to polish off some really bad build up that had occurred over the first half of the season.

The long wood-handled scraper tool that came with my Enviro Evolution pellet stove.
I just scrape the crud out and turn the pot upside down over the ash bin before I remove it to clean the chamber with an auto-parts round cleaning brush(they're cheap at the Princess Auto store).
Any hardened-on clinker is smacked with the tool edge to knock it off the pot.
Been doing it this way for 5 years now and the pot is always easily cleaned.

Attachments

• Pellet Stove1.jpg
    Pellet Stove1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 459
marine5068 said:
The long wood-handled scraper tool that came with my Enviro Evolution pellet stove.
I just scrape the crud out and turn the pot upside down over the ash bin before I remove it to clean the chamber with an auto-parts round cleaning brush(they're cheap at the Princess Auto store).
Any hardened-on clinker is smacked with the tool edge to knock it off the pot.
Been doing it this way for 5 years now and the pot is always easily cleaned.

Good looking Evolution Marine5068. Mine is one year older and looks 10 years older. I keep mine in the basement and don't maintain exterior cleanliness as much as i should. I use the enviro tool along with a large flatblade screwdriver and a couple of different sized drill bits for the burn pot holes. I previously got slaggish clinkers from LG Granules (good burning and hot) that I used a chisel on but havn't had that problem lately.

I use 1/4lb of C4 (burning infernos)

Status
Not open for further replies.