What does it cost for wood in your neck of the woods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mixed "seasoned" (yes, that was sarcastic) goes from $150 to $175 a cord. I've seen it as high at $200 for hardwood.

fv

Prices are all over the map around here (Boston area). Location and delivery are big factors; I've seen as low as $100/cord if you pick it up yourself, or as high as $600/cord delivered. I just paid $200 for a cord of green mixed hardwood, delivered, about 75% oak, which was the best deal I could find after making a lot of phone calls to craigslist sellers. The highest prices ($500 - $600/cord) are from established firewood businesses whose clients are presumably mostly wealthy people burning for aesthetics, not heat.

Reactions: jaychino415
$200 to $300
Some variables, all birch is the most $$ , travel distance from seller, etc.
Just check any area's CL fire wood ads
Anchorage

Thing here, like most places, is it's rare to see anyone sellers really having true seasoned wood.
I think if anyone had the room to season wood far a full year , they could get primium prices for it
to educated buyers.
Lots of people don't have room (or the want) to get 2 to 3 years ahead to have good dry seasoned wood.
A nice in the market that needs filled in most areas.
Might sell less wood, but make more $$ per cord.
Once the base client list got set up, it would grow due to word of mouth & references.
Tough part will be educating the buyers to what seasoned dry wood is, why it's better etc.

C/s/d is about $165-180.
Log loads are about $75. Over 95% Oak, unless you want something else.
The last time I asked, the difference between a mixed load and oak was negligible, so Oak it was.:cool:

Here its anywhere from $175-$225 for a cord of delivered Doug fir. $300 for oak or madrone. One insane guy on CL wants $450 for apple, delivered here from WA state. Dryness varies an the source. The guy I bought a true measured cord of fir from sold me 2 year barn dry fir, and it was bone dry. He is not the normal firewood jocky though, and most wood here is sold green to one year seasoned, and they are usually short or really loose stacked cords.

I've seen some recent ads for 175 green, split and delivered - probably a mix. Typical burn season prices for delivered, split 'seasoned' wood usually 225-275 ish. Cheers!

$200-225 for "seasoned" cut any length you want. ;)

150 to 160 a cord is what I usually see in the paper local. Craigslist has a lot of guys selling cut up slab or someone that thinks they are in the gold market. For my wood it's just time,fuel and sweat equity.

Around here nobody seems to know what a cord of wood is. They say it is a cord and the price has been 45-50 the last couple years. That is about 1/3 of a cord.

Strange how now (& the past 2 months) is the "off season" for fire wood.
Buyers should take advantage of the cheaper prices, & get it early in the year ,
get it stacked & seasoning all summer.

ey say it is a cord and the price has been 45-50 the last couple years. That is about 1/3 of a cord.

Michigan is an undefined amount , "face cord area" now.
Times are changing::P

How much does it cost for a cord in your neck of the woods? species?

IMGP4227.JPG

This is the Island Community of Alert Bay, BC. People just wait for the logs to float by so their firewood is free. Preferred trees are hemlock or fir and the split and stacked wood is hemlock.

IMGP3569.JPG

For me, the wood is road side waste after logging is complete. My preference is Douglas fir,our western hemlock. We have no dominant species of hardwoods in this area

IMGP3573.JPG

The road side waste is free for the taking. The logging company just requests that you get a free cutting and transport permit from them.

IMGP4344.JPG

Another source of firewood for the locals is charity wood cuts. This being a grade 12 class fund raiser at $55.00 a pickup load - split and delivered. The wood in this picture is alder. Western Forest Products makes the wood available free to several charities.

$150 for a cord of whatever you want.

For the good stuff around here it costs $170 per cubic Metre which equates to $615 per cord. This is good wood which is actually dry and seasoned - but expensive.!!!

You can get a lot for free if you wait until summer - people 'give it away' and most people forget they need wood all year round.

Around here in Québec, the cost is $125 for a small cord (1/3rd of a real cord). This is for maple, unseasoned, delivered.

No such thing as a real cord. What they deliver is 225-250 mixed. 400. for all oak. wet, heavy and seasoned?
That's why I scrounge.

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
$ 125 a cord tree length or $260-300csd prices have jumped the last few years for sure since they started to chip it all and send it to the pellet mills.

No such thing as a real cord. What they deliver is 225-250 mixed. 400. for all oak. wet, heavy and seasoned?
That's why I scrounge.
I meant a full cord. Around here, when you talk about a cord, it is a third of a full cord.
Anyway, too expensive. If you wan to heat with wood, you either scrounge, or you have you own wood lot.

I see red gum advertised around me for around $170 AU a square meter or a small trailer load...i note the local hardware has their firewood stored out the back sitting on the ground out in the rain....i feel sorry for people buying that expecting dry wood for this winter....

I see "seasoned mixed hardwood" for between $150 and $250 in the NY metro area. Last I bought back in 2008 a paid $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.