What does it cost for wood in your neck of the woods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$150-225 for oak c/s/s (cut/split/"seasoned"). A few nearby tree services that charge closer to $100 if you pick it up. Enough people burn around here that they're able to charge for it - I talked to the owner of one of the tree services recently. They just sell firewood to keep the guys busy processing on slow days and put a small dent in the annual gas bill.

I've seen a cord of mixed hardwoods advertised for $120.00. And yes that is a full cord, cut split and dumped. I've also seen deals on buying in bulk, like 3 cords for $350 or so.

If you want "seasoned" wood around here, you need to buy kiln dried wood -it will cost you $375 a cord delivered and stacked. It will be a full cord and then some and it burns like a dream. Mixed hardwoods, mostly ash in these parts but enough oak to be a good mix. They guarantee 12% moisture and will beat you to the ax to prove it on delivery.

Otherwise, even the "big" guys around here sell cords $200-$250 delivered (dirt and debris included for free) and think 25% moisture is "seasoned" They think they can drop way in advance and "cut to length" is seasoned just because it's sat on their lot a year.

Thanks To Sandy there is more wood here than anyone knows what to do with so I won't need to buy wood anytime soon. Still a huge pile of oak the township cut months ago just sitting, no joke, we have enough trouble finding room to stack what we have!

View attachment 103466

This is the Island Community of Alert Bay, BC. People just wait for the logs to float by so their firewood is free. Preferred trees are hemlock or fir and the split and stacked wood is hemlock.

View attachment 103468

For me, the wood is road side waste after logging is complete. My preference is Douglas fir,our western hemlock. We have no dominant species of hardwoods in this area

View attachment 103469

The road side waste is free for the taking. The logging company just requests that you get a free cutting and transport permit from them.

View attachment 103470

Another source of firewood for the locals is charity wood cuts. This being a grade 12 class fund raiser at $55.00 a pickup load - split and delivered. The wood in this picture is alder. Western Forest Products makes the wood available free to several charities.
Is that top picture suppose to be a river? Lol

If you want "seasoned" wood around here, you need to buy kiln dried wood -it will cost you $375 a cord delivered and stacked. It will be a full cord and then some and it burns like a dream. Mixed hardwoods, mostly ash in these parts but enough oak to be a good mix. They guarantee 12% moisture and will beat you to the ax to prove it on delivery.

Otherwise, even the "big" guys around here sell cords $200-$250 delivered (dirt and debris included for free) and think 25% moisture is "seasoned" They think they can drop way in advance and "cut to length" is seasoned just because it's sat on their lot a year.

Thanks To Sandy there is more wood here than anyone knows what to do with so I won't need to buy wood anytime soon. Still a huge pile of oak the township cut months ago just sitting, no joke, we have enough trouble finding room to stack what we have!
I'm willing to take some, I don't even have any oak...:-(

IMGP4239.JPG

Johnstone Strait. Some people do beachcomb their logs.

Reactions: PA Fire Bug

looks like tide marks, so close to the ocean
and the stones sure look like river wash stones

the trees/logs pile up all along the beaches and rivers in the PNW
killer surf and killer logs

180-200 "seasoned" hardwood cord

Wow great picture and very interesting, thank you

I just ordered 12 cords of mixed hard wood in 8' lengths. It will be mixed maple, the odd birch and the very odd beech.

If I pick it up "road side" (at his place) $95/ cord.

If I get it dropped off at my place $120/ cord.

I'll pay the extra bucks a have it dropped off in a pile at my place

"seasoned" oak= $120 cord, usually delivered.

Spring and summer down here, $130 cord, after October $175, after Christmas for seasoned, "well good luck at about $250+ cord". "mama says, snooze you loose"......

This spring I bought 6 cord, mixed oak, maple, ash. Split, delivered and stacked---$750. Local landscape center I bought 3 cord from last year. Got to talking to him and worked out a deal where he would sell to me for same price he sells to seasonal firewood re-sellers--$100 per cord. Charged me another $25 per cord for delivery and stacking. I have no truck so I can't scrounge my own easily.

Reactions: PapaDave
This spring I bought 6 cord, mixed oak, maple, ash. Split, delivered and stacked---$750. Local landscape center I bought 3 cord from last year. Got to talking to him and worked out a deal where he would sell to me for same price he sells to seasonal firewood re-sellers--$100 per cord. Charged me another $25 per cord for delivery and stacking. I have no truck so I can't scrounge my own easily.​
Make sure you stay on the good side of this person;), I don't know what part of the world your at but unless you have a forest in your back yard, thats a "very" good price;ex get what you can for the $$$.

Reactions: PapaDave
In NY, aside from the "great" deals on craigs list. Green cords are $150.00-180.00 sometimes a little lower. "Seasoned" is a different monkey. You will pay top dollar for seasoned in my area(Capital region) $180.00-300.00. A cord of Oak is 300.00 regardless of it being green or seasoned.

Log trucks usually charge 100.00 per cord and the trucks are 7-8 cord load capacity.
I do have a forest in my backyard and Im surrounded by 40 acres of apple trees and even though all the wood is "free" whenever I want it, after I factor property and school taxes, it's not so free.

Reactions: WeldrDave
I'm willing to take some, I don't even have any oak...:-(
Not sure where you are in NJ but NJ is just across the river from where I live - Hunterdon County half way between Lambertville and Frenchtown. I'm on the PA side in Point Pleasant.

Come on over, there's more wood than we know what to do with and with space at a premium, while I love the warmth of oak, I dont have the space to store it long enough to season in addition to the 4 cords I need a year :(

Roughly $90 per pulp cord, delivered in an 8 to 10 cord load.

Cut, split, delivered ranges from $50 to $80 a face cord depending on species and seasoning time.

$700 bucks for 10 cord grapple load mostly oak some ash. I c/s/s myself. I have been told there are some Amish around that will cut and split for $25.00 a cord. I haven't checked into it yet, but may this year. It is being a really busy spring, adding an addition, putting in all new windows/doors and siding, along with a new roof. I have hired out the ruff framing of the addition and putting on a metal roof, but will be doing the rest myself (with the help of my son-in-law and nephew.)

The wife and I decided on a Harmam TL300 wood stove with all the trim. We will also be adding a Harman P68 pellet stove, also with all the trim. We are currently using an old Northern Leader wood furnace, burnd almost 12 (full) cords this year. Still burning sometimes at night to take off the chill. Will pick up both stoves in a couple of weeks, but will not have installed until this fall.

Yes I will upload pictures when installed, I am aware on the forum rule.

Tree length: $80/cord
4' length: $100/cord
18" rounds: $130/cord
C/S/Delivered: $200-$250/cord green
C/S/Delivered: $250-$275/cord "seasoned" HA!
C/S/Delivered: $300+/cord Kiln dried.

For me it's a little gasoline and "sweat equity" but, then again, I belong to Hardwoods for Humanity. Great organization and greener than a bunch of greenbacks!

depends when you get it. If i order it now it will probably be 150, if i order in September it will probably be 200, but if i wait until Nov or Dec, it will run close to 300 and its probably not seasoned.

Around here nobody seems to know what a cord of wood is. They say it is a cord and the price has been 45-50 the last couple years. That is about 1/3 of a cord.
Yep , free wood to, if U see an add for, free wood about 6 cords :rolleyes: that's about 2 cords

Status
Not open for further replies.