What does the lever on the left of my wood stove do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elmmx5

Nov 7, 2007
Norton, MA
What exactly is the purpose of the lever on the left of my stove? I've tried burning wood with the lever in both positions (up and down) and have not experienced any noticeable change in either burn rate or heat output. My Stove is an old Russo wood/coal and it has no catalytic converter.

060807_17491.jpg

stove.jpg

I'm guessing that's the coal shaker grate handle. I had a Russo wood stove once and although it resembled yours, it didn't have the handle. With a coal stove, you need the special grates. My guess is that yours isn't working, or you'd see the grates move when you move the handle.

If that were a Russo coal stove, the handle should be lower and on the opposite side. I believe that was made as a wood only stove and I suspect there was some type of damper that should have been connected to it. Stick your head and up inside the unit and do some examining.

It does feel like it's connected to a damper, it definitely feels like it's opening and shutting when I move the lever. If it is a damper, what is that used for?

edit - stupid work filters (cant see pics linked to photobucket)

btw as mentioned - i've asked one of the Hearth.com wizards to have a look at your setup to make sure everything is safe hopefully he'll have some free time in the next wek or two

much better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.