Q&A What does the outdoors portion of a direct vent stove look l

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am deciding whether to get a ventless or direct vent stove for a sunroom. I'd prefer direct vent because I am concerned about the oxygen depletion and condensation with a ventless. Here's my question: what does the outdoors portion of a direct vent stove look like? Is it a long stainless steel tube like I've seen on homes with vented fireplaces? The wall through which the stove will be vented (we are not going through the roof) is directly adjacent to my kitchen window. I've heard of something called an Astrocap, which is sleek and low profile, but I'm having trouble getting more information on it. Have you ever heard of an Astrocap? (My assumption is that the pipe vents directly out the wall at the same level as the stove.)

Answer:

--- The vent cap for a direct vent stove is typically aluminum.. Every manufacturer could have a different looking termination cap. Duravent, which is one of the most popular brands of direct vent piping has a 14"x14" termination. You can go to www.duravent.com/catalogs/dvent/index.htm and it will show you a small sample of a stove installed.. Please note that not all stoves can vent straight out the back though.. Some need a vertical rise of 9" to 16" before going out the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.