What does your chainsaw sharpening bench look like?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlankBlankBlank

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2011
PA
I quickly put together this chainsaw sharpening bench using the pallet that my Jotul F118 Black Bear was crated on and a piece of scrap OSB. The bench top is clamped to an old desk. My Timber Tuff bench grinder is bolted to it. Works for now.

Attachments

• Timber Tuff Chain Bench.jpg
    Timber Tuff Chain Bench.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 702
My "bench" looks like wherever the saw is sitting (often a 2011 Ford Ranger.)

Wherever I can sit down next to it and clamp Granberg file guide onto the bar for a couple strokes per tooth.

Never found powered grinder to be of use here; chains seem to last very long here, too.

Bigg_Redd said:
WoodNStuff said:

I looks just like the tailgate of a 1999 Dodge 3500
2006 Silverado Z/71 Tailgate with a Beer next to the files

CTYank said:
My "bench" looks like wherever the saw is sitting (often a 2011 Ford Ranger.)

Wherever I can sit down next to it and clamp Granberg file guide onto the bar for a couple strokes per tooth.

Never found powered grinder to be of use here; chains seem to last very long here, too.

Sounds like the Granberg is working out for you. I tried Oregon's knockoff and found it too fllimsy. Retuned it. Considering Granberg's pro guide.

Beer Belly said:
Bigg_Redd said:
WoodNStuff said:

Like the beer. By chance is it a Central Waters Six Month Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout?? If so, I'm on board with your set-up. LOL

Bigg_Redd said:
WoodNStuff said:

I wish I had such a luxury... usually it's just a stump or log. Now and then I might clamp the bar in my bench vise and have at it, but either way I sharpen with a file freehand.

Fender of a Yamaha Grizzly.

WoodNStuff-I bolted mine down to a 2X6 and stuck it in a vise for now (as someone else on here mentioned) works good for me and I can put it away when not in use.

oldspark said:
WoodNStuff-I bolted mine down to a 2X6 and stuck it in a vise for now (as someone else on here mentioned) works good for me and I can put it away when not in use.

Oldspark, I would have preferred your approach. I just don't own a vise.

Caz said:
Beer Belly said:
Bigg_Redd said:
WoodNStuff said:

Tailgate of my F150.

Same here! I just traded my 97 F150 for a 2009. The tailgate has always been my sharpening bench. I'm almost afraid to take the new one out for firewood duty.

Doesnt look this good now. lol

Attachments

• caddy.jpg
    caddy.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 414
  • resize work benck with lights.jpg
    resize work benck with lights.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 420
Here's my 036 on the "sharpening bench". 2000 F250.
DSC06690.jpg

BK-not as impressive as the MM one which I bought hook line and sinker. :red:

hears mine!! i just sharpen on the nearest log.. Pat

Attachments

• wood 003.jpg
    wood 003.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 230
Status
Not open for further replies.