What does your stove look like 4 hours into a burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
This is a picture of the stove exactly 4 hours after a reload. Almost every tube and hole in the tubes it pumping out a secondary flame. A few lazy flame coming of the splits here and there. Stove top at 650. Is this what you guys see as well? This is my second winter with and EPA stove and some really seasoned wood this winter. The dealer is clueless! They said “you should only see a flame with the air open”.

0D2CABEF-0842-4666-821C-916238EE88B8.jpeg 8E72AC62-738F-4631-9D1F-BE0C1B56348C.jpeg

This is a picture of the stove exactly 4 hours after a reload. Almost every tube and hole in the tubes it pumping out a secondary flame. A few lazy flame coming of the splits here and there. Stove top at 650. Is this what you guys see as well? This is my second winter with and EPA stove and some really seasoned wood this winter. The dealer is clueless! They said “you should only see a flame with the air open”.

View attachment 272378 View attachment 272379
Looks about right. What stove is it?

Reactions: huauqui
Looks to me like things are dialled in and you have good balance of your flue, stove, wood etc. with lots o fuel left in there still. Nice! (Not everyone is so lucky. Usually these days with the colder weather and new EPA 2020 stoves it's an overdraft "my stove is uncontrollable, too hot, and has a short burn time of 4 hrs"... )

The 2400 is a well respected heater, lookin' good.

looks good to me, a nice low rolling flame with secondary flames is what i would strive for.

Looks to me like things are dialled in and you have good balance of your flue, stove, wood etc. with lots o fuel left in there still. Nice! (Not everyone is so lucky. Usually these days with the colder weather and new EPA 2020 stoves it's an overdraft "my stove is uncontrollable, too hot, and has a short burn time of 4 hrs"... )

The 2400 is a well respected heater, lookin' good.
Some of the new stoves do over draft easier. Others need more draft. And others work exactly the same as they always did. It simply means my job as an installer is a bit harder. But we always should have been making sure draft was correct

Reactions: Nigel459
I think that looks perfect.

For me, nothing but box full of black wood, highlighted by a bright orange cat shining down on it.

Or, if I need a little more heat, add a few glowing regions in the black wood.

And if I'm really cold, add a few lazy blue flames.

But I don't have the stove for views, only for heat.

Reactions: MtSiBK and Highbeam
Looks perfect. I wish I had that kind of flame activity after 4 hours! I have a much smaller firebox in my Osburn 1600 (1.85 vs your 2.3 cu ft) and the extra space makes a big difference in burn times. Id bake us out of the house with that much fuel though.

I think that looks perfect.

For me, nothing but box full of black wood, highlighted by a bright orange cat shining down on it.

Or, if I need a little more heat, add a few glowing regions in the black wood.

And if I'm really cold, add a few lazy blue flames.

But I don't have the stove for views, only for heat.
I can run with just a black box as well but the house would be cold. Even in relatively mild temps that just isn't enough heat

I can run with just a black box as well but the house would be cold. Even in relatively mild temps that just isn't enough heat

Yes - that depends on the heat output one needs and the range the stove can put out and how that compares.
I.e what's the match between stove and home.

All I was saying is that "how does it look" can be read in multiple ways. Aesthetics only, or utility only, or some combi of that. And for me it's utility only (given the match of stove and home).

Yes - that depends on the heat output one needs and the range the stove can put out and how that compares.
I.e what's the match between stove and home.

All I was saying is that "how does it look" can be read in multiple ways. Aesthetics only, or utility only, or some combi of that. And for me it's utility only (given the match of stove and home).
The only issue I had was the implication that having flames was only for aesthetics. Many of us even with cat stoves need to run with flames to heat our houses. So flames can be for utility as well.

The only issue I had was the implication that having flames was only for aesthetics. Many of us even with cat stoves need to run with flames to heat our houses. So flames can be for utility as well.

My (pedantic?) view is that heat is for utility, and flames are sometimes a by-product of that. Unless one has an open fireplace where the reverse is true. Needing to run with flames b/c of higher output is fine, no, is nice - but it's not the goal, even for you (that is how I read your response).

In my original post I did not mean to say that my stove is better, in fact, I like the flames (that are mostly absent in my stove). I said the OP's pic looked great. I just noted how my stove looks after 4 hours.

I do have some flames near the end when the heat output of my stove goes down (thermostat or not...), and I dial it up. That means I go down to the basement to dial it up in the morning, and then the "two remaining 3x3 inch pieces" will then be orange and give me 2" tall blue flames, and burn up quicker, and I get ~2 hrs of usable heat (rather than an active cat for 6 more hrs as an "active cat" does not always equate to sufficient heat for me).

I actually like sitting on a little stool in front of the stove, staring into the flames/glowing stuff. Quiets the mind - or at least, my mind. Even if it overheats my body. (Hence me building a little patio with a fireplace outside; bourbon and flames - no better combi...)

So, I know you're sometimes a "reality check" on BK afficionado's - and that's good. I am happy with my stove and I responded to "how does your stove look like after 4 hrs". And the honest answer is that my stove is not nearly as entertaining as the OP's stove. But still I'm happy b/c my criterium is utility first.

Reactions: bholler
My (pedantic?) view is that heat is for utility, and flames are sometimes a by-product of that. Unless one has an open fireplace where the reverse is true. Needing to run with flames b/c of higher output is fine, no, is nice - but it's not the goal, even for you (that is how I read your response).

In my original post I did not mean to say that my stove is better, in fact, I like the flames (that are mostly absent in my stove). I said the OP's pic looked great. I just noted how my stove looks after 4 hours.

I do have some flames near the end when the heat output of my stove goes down (thermostat or not...), and I dial it up. That means I go down to the basement to dial it up in the morning, and then the "two remaining 3x3 inch pieces" will then be orange and give me 2" tall blue flames, and burn up quicker, and I get ~2 hrs of usable heat (rather than an active cat for 6 more hrs as an "active cat" does not always equate to sufficient heat for me).

I actually like sitting on a little stool in front of the stove, staring into the flames/glowing stuff. Quiets the mind - or at least, my mind. Even if it overheats my body. (Hence me building a little patio with a fireplace outside; bourbon and flames - no better combi...)

So, I know you're sometimes a "reality check" on BK afficionado's - and that's good. I am happy with my stove and I responded to "how does your stove look like after 4 hrs". And the honest answer is that my stove is not nearly as entertaining as the OP's stove. But still I'm happy b/c my criterium is utility first.
Mine is absolutely utility first as well. I burn wood to heat my house not for entertainment. I just think your post came off wrong I know what you are saying though

Reactions: stoveliker
Nothing wrong with that picture. In my specific case, I'd generally expect the flames to be more blue/purple with white-ish tips and a translucent / ghostly appearance after several hours of burn time. Though likely that is more a product of different stoves, different wood, different camera - and likely several other different factors.

Thanks for all the input. I gotta say I’m pretty disappointed at the dealer. They were great with the sale but as far as product knowledge....no good! I had to learn it all on my own. Or better yet from you guys on this forum! I find it odd you can sell something that cost a lot of money, and inherently could be dangerous if not operated correctly yet hardly know a damn thing on how it works!

Guess if you can get past the giant Photobucket watermark, this is a fair representation of the translucent blue/purple flames mentioned above.

orangeburntubes_zps2cf3e5a6.jpg