What else can I do with my old woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
Sitting in my garage is a 1970s-era Waterford 104, in good shape with a brand new baffle. It has a very small firebox and I don't see using it for heating purposes here at home. How do others here put their old woodstoves to use? I don't have a boat, so an anchor is not practical at this time. I could build a sauna, but I need a new roof first. I'm seriously considering building a smoker much like BrotherBart's filing cabinet smoker, but would like other suggestions if they're out there. Thanks!

I made an outside fire-hearth-patio thingy.
I used some river rock and built a chase around it, extended the pipe above head level and smacked it in the yard.
I will take some pics.

I have an old franklin fireplace that I was thinking about using as an outdoor fireplace. My other idea was to maybe make a smoker out of it. Does anyone know if this would work since it isn't air tight? But as far as the original question I would say either make a smoker or use it as an outoor fireplace.

I gave my old wood stove to the neithbor guy last winter, the one he had wasn't pretty. His family put him in a nursing home due to alzhimers(?), too bad he is mid 50's. I'd like to have the stove back now since he will never live there again. His posessions will most likely be auctioned off, along with my stove, home bulldozed down, and property sold. I too would like to make a outside fireplace/grill.

I think for a smoker it may get a bit hot, the fact that it isnt airtight shouldn't matter.

Sell it to someone who wants it?
Sell it for scrap metal?

Take the door off, load it full of soft comfy stuff, and your cat will love it.

Unless you don't have a cat. Then, I'm not sure what to tell ya.

-SF

We have one outdoors that we use for burning papers.

SlyFerret said:
Take the door off, load it full of soft comfy stuff, and your cat will love it.

Unless you don't have a cat. Then, I'm not sure what to tell ya.

-SF

Don't have a cat, but the farmers down the road have this pooch that has all but adopted us (I think because we regularly feed him). He's small enough to fit in the firebox, but I have strange feeling that he would rather curl in front of blazing fire.

Still thinking the file-cabinet smoker is the way to go with my used stove. We don't have much of a patio, so I can't see it working as a chimenea.

Attachments

• DSC04178_640x480.JPG
    DSC04178_640x480.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 414
Turn it into a chimnea for the patio. Light it up, sit around it, drink beer, and now you have 12 months per year of burning!!

If You are looking to sell it and make a few bucks put it on Craigs List. Just like free Ebay for heavy stuff. Snap a few pics and post the particulars. Its everything the want ads used to be and the rates are definitely right being free. There are a lot of folks out there looking for something like that and don't have the bucks to buy a nice new one.

I made this with a small stove that came with the house.

6-15-07thehouse013.gif

mount it on your lawn mower (provided its self propelled) and exhaust it out the stack...
people will drive by in amazment as you mow!

Status
Not open for further replies.