What every woodburner wants to see from his back porch.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodpileOCD

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2011
Central NC
Woke up to chain saws this morning and this is what was going on next door. Alas it was all sweet gum (the scourge of the Carolina's) and I'm bumping up on 3 years ahead after this weeks work so I'm starting to get real picky. Too much work for too little gain right now. Seems like 80% of everything that gets cut in the neighborhood is gum.

Attachments

• tree cutter.jpg
    tree cutter.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 659
  • tree cutter-2.jpg
    tree cutter-2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 648
i take it that gum is a little hard to split? haven't tried it. i have loads of gum trees in my woods behind the house. would make some good logs if i could get something in.

cass

It's not terrible to split with hyd's, but but with a maul it'll bust off chunks rather than even splits.
Not the greatest wood as far fuel goes either. Grows shrooms within a year, and unless good and dry it's smolders/smokes bad.

too bad....like i said, real common and popular around here in southern maryland.

cass

Status
Not open for further replies.