what exactally do i got here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elderthewelder

Minister of Fire
My neighbor tore off his cedar shake roof ( I got alot of kindling) recently, well for the 10 years I have lived here there has been a wood burning chimney pipe through the rooof his house, there has never been a stove or hearth in the house since I have been here and appear there has never been one, the inside of the pipe was always capped. It appears some time ago somebody was going to put a stove in but never did

anyway he asked me if I wanted the chimney and of course thinking I could sell it for something, I said sure I will take it off your hands, and I hauled it over to my garage

So the thing looks brand new, there is a 6 foot section and a 3 foot section of what I think is stainless steel insulated double wall class A pipe, 6"I.d / 8"o.d., it appears to have never been used, however at the connection there is a little discoloration and a slight hint of soot, looks like someone fired it off for a 5 minute fire, maybe the manufacturer??

So it still has the manufactures tags on it, it is made by Oliver Macleod Co in Canada, Project model 3103 listed factory built chimney, tested to UL103HT for connection to solid, liquid, or gas fired appliances producing flue gas to 1000 degrees (F) or less

So I go to there web site and it appears they are now Secure Chimney international, and possibly owned by Lennox and the cloest thing I can find the reassembles mine is this one
http://www.securitychimneys.com/residential/chimneys/SecureTempASHT/

If I open up the pdf file on it it mentions UL103HT, 1000 degrees max continuous, 1400 degrees brief forced fired and 2100 degree 3x10 minutes tested, again the tags on mine say "producing flue gas to 1000 degree or less and the same UL 103HT, so I am not sure if these are the same units or not, but it is the closest they have listed

So I guess I am trying to figure out what exactally I have and what it is rated at, and what it may be worth if i was to craigslist it

I may just keep it a I am toying with the idea of replacing my insert with a free standing stove, any help appreciated

Here are the pics, the dark discolorations are just shadows
P1010003-1.gif

P1010005.gif

The cap looks strange, like it's missing some surround guard/screen, and screwed in wrong.

You might just look around the web and see what things are selling for, for insulated pipe and price accordingly if you put it on craigs.

Yeah, that cap doesn't look right. As an old carpenter, long since passed away, would say, "That is a real shoe-maker job!". You could use the pipe if you need it...

the cap is centered above the pipe, the mounting bracket is just screwed on a little crooked. It is a similar type cap that i have on my insert flex liner set up, just enough to keep the rain out, no screen or spark arrester. I have seen this set up on quite a few houses in my area

The cap is a "shanty" cap that you can get at the hardware store. Not suitable for a stove chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.