What exactly defines fines when sifting pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HEMI said:
slls said:
Nice setup, high production. I am low production, made some holes a little larger with wifes knitting needle.
IMG_1046_1_1.gif
how long does it take to sift a bag with that????

Never timed it, too involved in sifting. Do it every morning out of my 2 bag plastic bin, so I just fill the hopper.

littlesmokey said:
I seriously think I missed something here. Are some of you saying you "sift ALL pellets"? Are you nuts???? I can see if you are sifting corn or soybeans, or nut shells for over and undersized contaminants. The bio-mass suppliers are not geared the same way as pellet makers. Personally I stick with well known, premium pellets. If you have to sift your pellets you either need to change the pellets or your stove, or both, or try a woodstove, or anything but pellets.

Gee, lighten up fell, it's only sifting pellets.

I’m not saying the pellets are no good, but good quality pellets should only smell like fresh cut wood…nothing else, or else the company is adding chemical binding agents(?).....not good for the stove, or you

They don't smell like chemicals they just smell odd like freshly processed maybe, They burn well
I think the curran site says they do not use chemicals or binders and they are approved by the Pellet Fuels institute.

pelletizer said:
I’m not saying the pellets are no good, but good quality pellets should only smell like fresh cut wood…nothing else, or else the company is adding chemical binding agents(?).....not good for the stove, or you

They don't smell like chemicals they just smell odd like freshly processed maybe, They burn well
I think the curran site says they do not use chemicals or binders and they are approved by the Pellet Fuels institute.

You could do like a freaky friend of mine does. She sprinkles pourpouri (SP) over them so they smell nice :-S I suggested cheap spices to complement her dinners, like Garlic for Italian dinners, Cardoman for Danish, burnt for English, you get the idea.......

Littlesmokey "whatcha been smokin" up in those Wasatch Mountains? No pourpouri that went out in the 80's!
Winter in NH we complement our pellets with New England brewed ale and an ocasional shot of Jack.

pelletizer said:
Littlesmokey "whatcha been smokin" up in those Wasatch Mountains? No pourpouri that went out in the 80's!
Winter in NH we complement our pellets with New England brewed ale and an ocasional shot of Jack.

I like the scents of dead wood, except tup and a few So.American harwoods. You had the odor issue :roll:

Now, about the additives. I prefer the Jack taken internally and not in the stove. :cheese:

Not sure what your trying to start here. no matter not worth it. the thread is about sifting pellets,

pelletizer said:
Not sure what your trying to start here. no matter not worth it. the thread is about sifting pellets,

Hey, sorry I said anything. Didn't realize your "smoking" comment was intended to shut me up. No problem, I won't bug you again.

I've run about between 45 and 50 ton through my stove straight from the bag. No issues ever with fines.

OK I have run 2 bags through without sifting as promised, and no clogging and not auger issues,
Allthough these Curran pellets are a bit dusty and a plume puffs out of the hopper when filling unsifted pellets.,
maybe something they "curran" can work on next year?
I still have the urge to sift, sift sift and sift I must!
I use the super size "blue special" kitty super dooper pooper scooper to sift and wow what sifting results there are!
ok enough been a long day.

OK I have run 2 bags through without sifting as promised, and no clogging and not auger issues,
Although these Curran pellets are a bit dusty and a plume puffs out of the hopper when filling unsifted pellets.,
maybe something they "curran" can work on next year?
I still have the urge to sift, sift sift and sift I must!
I use the super size "blue special" kitty super dooper pooper scooper to sift and wow what sifting results there are!
ok enough been a long day.

Status
Not open for further replies.