What exactly is overfire condition for VC NC Encore?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
I am a bit confused on this subject as it seems there may be more than one way to define "overfire" conditions...

My manual doesn't give a definite temperature. All it says is "no part should glow red"... I asked my dealer for some temperature guidance and was told "regular firing over 700f" can damage the stove. I have been reading posts and trying to figure out what temperatures are safe to operate at and what range I should be targeting...

I know this stove is somewhat touchy.. so when should I start being concerned? What is the panic line?

I am NOT an experienced wood burner so this is all new to me so I'm not just learning this stove, rather I'm learning the whole art of wood heating as well as a tempermental stove. It seems that it is hard to control the heat by the air control alone so I need to master control by way of the wood loading or whatever else is at my disposal, but knowing what the upper limits are would really be helpful so I know if I'm getting worried over nothing... certainly the markings on the thermometer don't seem to sync up with what I'm being told...

I start to pay attention at 650 on the griddle of my stovetop. I don't mind if it hangs out there for a while when the whole load is well involved.
I start to get concerned, but not panicked, and assess the situation/options at 700.

I am concerned if the temp rises above 625 degrees on the griddletop. That is when I also notice that the flue collar is throwing ALOT of heat toward the back walls. 600 degrees is the upper limit I like my stove to cruise for any period of time and it is there that I get the quickest rise in room temp. 550 is my sweet spot so far.

Iv hit 725 a few times as I was loding the stove when it was to hot to laod. That wood was going for a hot ride and so was my heart.

The problem with the "no part should glow red" definition is that once you hit that point you are already in the overfire condition. I'd rather have a measure that warns me when I'm getting close so that I can avoid it. Thus my monitoring the temperature on griddle and flue. When things start to get close to what I consider "too hot" I take progressive measures to bring the temperature down. So far I have never seen any red glowing parts - I hope that I never do. However, I also want to get the most out of the stove and thus knowing reasonable upper limits for the temps is the reason for starting this thread.

I'm using 700 as my 'red line' for griddle top. I now start reducing things at 600, become more aggressive at 650 and shut all air off at 675 until I see temp start to fall.. I go with the labeled "overfire" range on the thermometer for my flue (I forget the actual temperatures there).

Status
Not open for further replies.