1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

what flavor maple is this?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Coal Reaper, May 9, 2013.

1. Coal Reaper

Coal Reaper Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I think it is soft maple, but I am not sure. Soft maple is a very choice firewood, if you ask me.
    ScotO likes this.
  3. paul bunion

paul bunion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Silver, without a doubt. And I'd be all over that stuff. Great SS wood, its already cut, looks straight and knot-free (will split like a dream).........easy pickings IMO.

I heated all winter primarily (daytime and weekends)with nothing but ash and silver maple this past year (own and locust for overnight fires). Smells good when burning, too.
  5. Coal Reaper

Coal Reaper Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    ill pick it up if i can coordinate a driveby near the place before somebody else takes it. there is so much higher BTU stuff that i have been picking up just as easily and closer. i got a half cord of sugar maple (thats what i was told it was) still in the back of the truck that needs to be split. got some cut black locust the next town over with several more trees that i told friend i would give him a hand cutting along with an 18" cherry. thanks all!
  6. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    If it's close, go get it.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We've burned a lot of soft maple like that for many years and will continue doing so. It is still good firewood.
  8. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Silver--Grab it! If there's any question weather your other wood will be dry in time, soft Maple is a great ace in the hole. I got a call from a guy that I scored from a while back. Just got back from checking it out; Silver, in great shape, already bucked. I am on it! :cool: