What free woods in your area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

Only 5 woods in my area that I can get for free regular (hate paying for wood), what are your woods that you can scavege.

Pine when well seasoned is brilliant, spits and sparks with gusto.
Willow has been said to be a poor fuel, but I have found it to be a good firewood when dry.
Beech is a cracking fuel and gives of plenty of heat.
Hawthorn and holly are both excellent in my opinion.

When the town cuts down a tree they leave it in the wood pile at the dump. I have gotten lots of nice oak and maple there. Problem is some of it is too big to move and they no longer allow chain saws. I used a come-along to pull a pretty huge log into my truck and ended up ruining the tailgate :^(

Craiglist often has people with free wood to those who will take it off of there property.

Poplar is generally free around here. It is very light and needs to be left in large chunks to last at all in the stove.

Enough people burn wood not much comes up for free. Some people will offer a tree for free if you come, cut it down and remove all branches and limbs from the property. I can't imagine taking that kind of offer.

I guess I luck out...hedge and locust are free for the taking. Occasionally run across some elm - but I try and leave that! Had some nice oak and ash from a power line cut several years ago.

Wow, here is the only positive thing I can think of lately that living here in Michigan has over other areas. You can pretty much choose the hardwood you want, as much as you want, and if you cut it and haul it its free. I'm talking oak, sugar maple, cherry, hickory,locust, you name it. Sometimes you need to ask a few times or drive up to 10-15 miles and sometimes you need to help pile brush or something. but most times its either tree tops from logging, fence row removal, farm field expansion. storm damage. The sources are varied but I don't even take any pine. Just don't need to. But this area makes up for the abundance of good wood in taxes, unemployment, and road disrepair, just to name a few. Even if I needed to pay for wood(I never have) its good hardwood and from 90-140 a cord. (at least it has been). So even if I got hurt or something I would still save gobs over propane or other fossil fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.