What gauges/valves should I have on my storage tank?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat53

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2010
UP Mich
Getting ready to hook everything up to my 500 gallon storage tank. I have a pressure/temp gauge, air eliminator, aquastat, and safety pop-offs on so far. Do I need anything else?

thx, Pat

Pat53 said:
Getting ready to hook everything up to my 500 gallon storage tank. I have a pressure/temp gauge, air eliminator, aquastat, and safety pop-offs on so far. Do I need anything else?

thx, Pat
Pat, could you load a few pictures on? They always help, Randy

I think this is one of those things you can get really fancy or just bare bones. It sounds like you have the basics covered. My tank has just the basics also. If I had more time and money, I would have liked to welded a few more ports on the tank to get middle and bottom temp readings. I may purchase some surface mounted temp sensors later...Make sure your 30# pop off has no shut off valves between it and the tank...

True but many people put them on for "peace of mind"...

Bondo said:

Ayuh,... Why the relief valves,... It's a storage tank, No heat made there, No need for a relief valve...

First of all pressure vessels tend to accumulate afraidium, which can be eliminated with enough relief valves. Also I don't know how familiar you are with the standard model of particle physics, but you may be aware that what they use for graviton and neutrino detection is big tanks of water, and what if you got a few more neutrinos than expected, then what?

And besides, do I need a reason for a little bling?

--ewd

ewdudley said:
Bondo said:

Ayuh,... Why the relief valves,... It's a storage tank, No heat made there, No need for a relief valve...

First of all pressure vessels tend to accumulate afraidium, which can be eliminated with enough relief valves. Also I don't know how familiar you are with the standard model of particle physics, but you may be aware that what they use for graviton and neutrino detection is big tanks of water, and what if you got a few more neutrinos than expected, then what?

And besides, do I need a reason for a little bling?

--ewd

Yes and I'm sure that (afraidium relief valve) will be the one that leaks and makes all that cellulose very wet. I think I would want to have my relief valves at the heat origin or in a place that I could check it. I have two relief valves. One at the eko-80 and one in the house at the propane back up boiler. Both so I can get at them. They do tend to be one of those things that will leak when you don't want a mess.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.