What Gear Items are on your Christmas Wish List?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JV_Thimble

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2010
South-Central MI
Ok, this is a little self-serving as well. I'm also asking what moisture meter I should put on my wish list. :)

Cheers,

John

New atv....and I'm picking it up this week.

Backwoods Savage said:

Good deal . . . what are you getting?

My wife and I don't buy gifts at Christmas . . . that said . . . we're evaluating whether or not we should buy a new-used pick up or spend some money fixing up the 2000 4Runner -- the vehicle I use to haul our firewood home. Eventually I would like to get a new saw . . . maybe one of those high-winder fancy chain grinders . . .

New pair of dress pants.

Hmmm - maybe I need to try being more direct here. :)

What moisture meter, IR thermometer, and splitting axe (Fiskars, I assume) should go on my wish list?

Thanks in advance,

John

I don't have a moisture meter and don't really think I need one. I have the Harbor Freight IR thermometer and it spits back a number when I pull the trigger. When I check it against a boiling water reference, it is accurate enough and they have sold for as low as $20 lately with the coupon. I don't remember if I paid $27 or $30. I have the Fiskars Supper Splitter and the little 18" splitting axe (best suited for kindling or resplits) but might try out one of the longer handled versions that are due next year. For Christmas, I am getting a cheap pair of noise cancelling headphones, wool socks and possibly a new pair of gore-tex, kangaroo chukka boots. I'd like to have a Husky 346XP or Dolmar 5100 w/ 16" bar but there are much more important things on the "need" list ahead of that and I get more out of my kids Christmas than I ever could getting something for me.

JeffRey30747 said:
I get more out of my kids Christmas than I ever could getting something for me.

+1 for that. Don't have kids myself, but I have a huge appreciation for people who do and who take the gig seriously.

I'm looking at a mingo marker. Seems I have an obsession with straight woodpiles and near perfect wood length. I measure each cut with a calibrated stick in my throttle hand which is getting old.

My HF moisture meter has told me everything I've ever wanted to know.

I don't "do" IR temp guns or fancy splitting axes.

firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Good deal . . . what are you getting?

Keep watch Jake. I'll post some pictures when I get it home.

JV_Thimble said:
Hmmm - maybe I need to try being more direct here. :)

What moisture meter, IR thermometer, and splitting axe (Fiskars, I assume) should go on my wish list?

Thanks in advance,

John

I got both my MM and IR from harbor frieght on sale. Good enough for our usage. I also would liek the fiskars, but since there suppose to be coming out with a longer handled version shortly I'd wait. Or these are suppose to be good/better but unfortunately are out of stock http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11718 or this one pieced together with the longer 36" handle http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/14661 which I may actually get soon.

I got the Fiskars Super Splitter (which I like a lot), but I think I would have been tempted by the Helko Vario 2000 if I had known about it - longer and has a wood handle.

Dolmar 6400, prolly wont get it, but oh well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.