What Generator to Buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
buying a generator the day before the storm is pretty much the worst thing to do, ever. lol
wait until sunday and get one new for half price on craigslist.

Has anybody tried using an inverter running off of the 12v output provided on some generators to get the clean power for a pellet stove?

Another vote for the Champion inverter generator here. I have one and mom bought one after the october snow storm last year. Good power factor and it sips gas. Eventually i will buy a larger one. I am eying the champion 7500 watt one with remote start! That will get wired into the entire house when the time comes. For now the inverter generator gets a few cords ran, though i am contemplating hooking it into house even though it's only 120v.

any issues if your stove requires a modified or pure sine wave?

I have a champion 3000/4000 watt. It is really popular lately. All of my rv friend and hunter have one. Most os the time you can get it for 299$. Best bang for the buck.

Tou can google for reviews, everybody seems to like them. I rhink thy are coming with a 220 plug now too.

I bought a Briggs and Stratton generator from electricgeneratorsdirect.com. It a 8k watt running, 10k watt surge. It powered my home nicely during hurricane Sandy. That included my 25EP, My oil fired water heater, some lights, two refrigerators and my TV. If i remember correctly, the Generator cost $1250 delivered to my garage door.

It powered my home nicely during hurricane Sandy. That included my 25EP, My oil fired water heater, some lights, two refrigerators and my TV.

I bet it did. That is a thousand watt load. Or less. One of my 3500/2500 ones handles load greater than that for week long outages. Three times. And burns a lot less gas.

Reactions: briansol
We bought the champion 3500. Called the company and they assured us it would power the stove and our sump pump. Also called Englander and they seemed ok with it. It sells for @ $300. at tractor supply or camping world.
I have this generator and (with remote start) and it works amazing. No issues running anything I need. Installing auto transfer switch this week.

Honda or Yamaha you can't go wrong. I have a Honda EU6500 for my house during power outage and a EU2000 when I'm at the track that does not provide power I use it for my tire warmers.

If you want inverter to protect your sensitive electronics those are the 2 brands that I like, they are very quiet. I'm sure there are other brands for less money but you'll get what you'll pay for.
I have the Honda Eui2000 and it runs for about 8-10hrs on a gallon of gas. It has run my 22.1 cuft fridge, 700watt microwave , and Vista Flame V100 fs pellet sove simultaneously. I also run a Kero Sun Omni 230 in the ther parts of the house when the power goes out in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.