1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What Generator to Buy

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Curve, Feb 6, 2013.

1. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    buying a generator the day before the storm is pretty much the worst thing to do, ever. lol
    wait until sunday and get one new for half price on craigslist.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Has anybody tried using an inverter running off of the 12v output provided on some generators to get the clean power for a pellet stove?
  3. seige101

seige101 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Palmer, MA
    Another vote for the Champion inverter generator here. I have one and mom bought one after the october snow storm last year. Good power factor and it sips gas. Eventually i will buy a larger one. I am eying the champion 7500 watt one with remote start! That will get wired into the entire house when the time comes. For now the inverter generator gets a few cords ran, though i am contemplating hooking it into house even though it's only 120v.
  4. KodiakII

KodiakII Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    any issues if your stove requires a modified or pure sine wave?
  5. Fi-Q

Fi-Q Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bonaventure, Quebec
    I have a champion 3000/4000 watt. It is really popular lately. All of my rv friend and hunter have one. Most os the time you can get it for 299$. Best bang for the buck.

Tou can google for reviews, everybody seems to like them. I rhink thy are coming with a 220 plug now too.
  6. Jason Knapp

Jason Knapp Member

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I bought a Briggs and Stratton generator from electricgeneratorsdirect.com. It a 8k watt running, 10k watt surge. It powered my home nicely during hurricane Sandy. That included my 25EP, My oil fired water heater, some lights, two refrigerators and my TV. If i remember correctly, the Generator cost $1250 delivered to my garage door.
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I bet it did. That is a thousand watt load. Or less. One of my 3500/2500 ones handles load greater than that for week long outages. Three times. And burns a lot less gas.
    briansol likes this.
  8. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Gas consumption is a big deal. It might be good to have a big and small generator.
  9. rwthomas1

rwthomas1 Member

Loc:
    Wakefield, RI
  10. Thaddius Wenderoth

Thaddius Wenderoth Feeling the Heat

I have this generator and (with remote start) and it works amazing. No issues running anything I need. Installing auto transfer switch this week.
  11. Stevekng

Stevekng Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I have the Honda Eui2000 and it runs for about 8-10hrs on a gallon of gas. It has run my 22.1 cuft fridge, 700watt microwave , and Vista Flame V100 fs pellet sove simultaneously. I also run a Kero Sun Omni 230 in the ther parts of the house when the power goes out in the winter.